"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Tranquility of Bethlehem

Feel like Christmas to you? We are all trying best we can. We have had hardships and literally lost friends to the pandemic. Friends and for many people, family. Some of these wounds cannot be healed. We can only look ahead and try to take the most prudent actions, to preserve what we have. 
Should we "build back better?" Looks like Joe Manchin put the kibosh on that. He's concerned about the cost? What did our 20-year war in Afghanistan cost? George W. Bush said "freedom will prevail." It did not. So we are sorting through all the various realities in the year 2021. 
Last year's Christmas might have had a little more merriment, on the belief that we were facing a one-time challenge. We would "just have to get through it." So I wrote my annual Christmas song entitled "A Social Distance Christmas." The rhyme of the last two words was irresistible. 
But alas, we all have not climbed out of the hole of the pandemic. This time around there is more of a sober depression, unspoken maybe, rather than our typical wellspring of optimism. We must be prepared for sad endings? And how might we emerge in a more upbeat way? In my humble opinion, perhaps with focus on the Bethlehem story, the birth of Christ, the baby Jesus in the manger. Because, the scene is the epitome of peace and tranquility. 
My Christmas song for this year is centered on the Bethlehem story. Perhaps I was attracted to the story by the annual TV Christmas special from when I was a kid: "The Little Drummer Boy." It was narrated by Greer Garson. I cried at the end. The little boy's sheep was healed. 
Another inspiration for my song was borne of the days I drove cross county at night in the Morris Sun Tribune van. The Sun Tribune does not exist any more, it is the Stevens County Times. I saw colored lights at farm places in the distance. 
So I began pondering: why not an illuminated Star of Bethlehem decoration on a farm building? A barn? Not only that, why not have kids of the immediate vicinity don costumes representing the humble assemblage that was at the manger? Even the "Three Kings of the Orient" were humble. 
The kids could make their way toward the star decoration, safely of course. They could assemble at a stable replica. 
A sense of total peace and brotherhood, a wellspring of the hope for mankind. We need so much hope now. Can we put Donald Trump and his foul mouth and crudity aside? 
My church of First Lutheran chose to have my song played as part of Sunday's service. I wasn't there, because I wasn't seeking any attention for myself. But I hope the lyrics had a soothing effect in these non-normal times. 
My song "Star on the Barn" was recorded at the Nashville TN studio of Frank Michels. The singer is the outstanding Debra Gordon. Thanks to Gulsvig Productions of Starbuck for getting the song on YouTube for me. They are the "geeks." Please consider them for any media transfer work you need done. They are located along the mill dam road. You'll see a sign. 
I invite you to listen to my 2021 Christmas song, "Star on the Barn." Thanks and God bless. You may click on permalink:
 
You might check my companion blog "Morris of Course" for updates on MACA Tiger athletics. The year 2022 will be the 50th anniversary of the start of my writing about the Tigers for the local media. Today my journalism is online.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment