"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Another week, another win for MACA boys

The MACA football express steamed forward Friday (10/12), achieving win No. 7 by a 35-7 score.
The opponent was Lac qui Parle Valley. The site was the Eagles' field which has a countryside location.
The Tigers own a 7-0 record going into MEA week (which I realize is probably an outdated term but it's an old habit).
The Tigers will take their spotless record into the Wednesday MEA week (fall break?) game, which will have YME as the opponent at Big Cat. YME has struggled a lot this fall. Look for our orange and black crew to take an 8-0 record into post-season.
I'm sure fans are itching for the post-season now. It might be a long ride once it starts.
The Tigers actually aren't alone at the top of the West Central Conference. BOLD also sits at 7-0. The Tigers and BOLD have no head-to-head competition in the regular season. I know, that seems strange.
I'm only now finding out there are no more North and South divisions in the WCC. Instead there's a "confederation" of ten teams. I hadn't gotten the memo when I wrote my first volleyball post of this season, so I referred to Minnewaska Area as a WCC-North team. I always thought it strange that MAHS vs. 'Waska games were non-conference.
Now with the confederation, the arrangement is a little easier to process and understand. But sometimes I think change happens too fast in high school sports.
It was the Eagles scoring first Friday. Dylan Erickson passed 35 yards to J.D. Struxness for the score, and Erickson kicked the point-after. I'm not sure if the cheers would be heard from Milan, Madison or Appleton, but they would be the loudest cheers all night for the Lac qui Paarle cause. Morris Area Chokio Alberta owned the rest of this game.
Tom Holland ran the ball in from the five for MACA's first score. Holland would finish the night with 111 rushing yards on 15 carries. Noah Grove kicked the point-after.
The Tigers began taking charge on the scoreboard when Lincoln Berget caught a short touchdown pass from Jacob Torgerson. Grove's toe was true again on the point-after. Then it was Holland scoring again on a run from the eleven. Grove kicked the PAT.
Tanner Picht scored the Tigers' fourth touchdown with a run from the eight. Grove's kick was good, as it was yet again after the Tigers' final TD which featured Aaron Nelson running 33 yards.
Behind Holland on the rushing list were three teammates who made substantial contributions as well: Picht (eleven carries, 46 yards), Jordan Staples (11-50) and Nelson (3-41). Torgerson completed four passes in ten attempts for 19 yards and had none picked off. The four catches were by four different Tigers: Nick Vipond (13 yards), Holland (four yards), Staples (one yard) and Berget (one yard).
Picht handled the Tigers' punting, averaging 37 yards. Mac Beyer came through with an interception, and Chandler Erickson had a fumble recovery.
The Tigers scored in all four quarters.
Click on the permalink below to read my review of the UMM Cougars' games 4 through 6. This post is on my companion website, "Morris of Course." My system is to post on the Cougars after every three games.
 
Here's a reminder to check out the photos I took of the MAHS Homecoming parade, football game and powder puff game. These photos are in a Flickr album. Here's the link:
 
I was 50-50 on attending the Morris Area Homecoming coronation. I photographed this for many years with very good results. It was very enjoyable to attend.
One reason I don't these days, is I figure other people will photograph this and share.
Is my time done? Maybe not. The only photos the newspaper has appeared to share, as I write this, are posed photos of the Homecoming royal court members. Oh, that's fine. But the ceremony itself is delightful to photograph with its various aspects.
OK, so then I discovered that KMRS-KKOK has a photo gallery of the coronation on its website. I took a look and discovered that many of these photos are of poor quality. What a shame. I still have all my old camera equipment. I could be doing all this just wonderfully. It's water under the bridge for 2012 unfortunately.
I need to dismiss some of my inhibitions about showing up for some of these things, because the local corporate media just aren't cutting it.
Did the newspaper photograph the parade? Was the newspaper represented at the powder puff game? As for varsity game photos, the newspaper holds back way too much on its website with these. You're lucky to find one game photo in the week following a game. There's a few seconds of fuzzy video if that excites you. It isn't enough to print 3-4 game photos in the ink-on-paper version because it comes out so long after a game is played. It's not like we have a mid-week edition anymore. The company that owns the Morris paper pulled the rug out from under us with that.
So now that company puts out a weekly paper stuffed with a staggering pile of advertising inserts, many of which guide us to Alexandria. What an ungodly disgusting pile that is. Even if I were a compulsive shopper, I wouldn't be interested in looking at even a tiny fraction of this. It's pollution. I don't need to look at the "Classy Canary" with its full-page ad for Gesswein Motors. I'm not going to buy a car at Gesswein Motors. So please save the ink.
A reminder to MACA volleyball fans: Much of my writing on Tiger volleyball has been on my companion website, "Morris of Course." Here's a direct site link if you haven't been to the site before. You might look for a recent post I wrote reflecting on Dennis Rettke, former Morris school administrator who recently passed away.

- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment