"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Monday, December 3, 2018

MACA basketball takes off with wins

Boys: Tigers 64, 
Ortonville 57
It's nice to see winter prep sports get going in the time leading up to Christmas. The orange and black are off and running. Our boys basketball team downed the Ortonville Trojans 64-57 on November 30, away.
Jaret Johnson was quite the force. He was nearly perfect in long-range shooting, nailing five of his six attempts from three-point range. Camden Arndt was good on two shots from beyond the three-point stripe. Zach Hughes and Jackson Loge each made one '3'.
Johnson's long-rangers propelled him to the top of the scoring list with 29 points. Loge poured in 16 points. Arndt joined the group in double figures with his eleven, then we have Hughes with five and Jaden Maanum with three. Johnson muscled his way to get nine rebounds while Arndt and Loge each had seven. Arndt dished out six assists followed by Loge with four. Hughes, Arndt and Johnson each had one steal. We won our season opener with a 26-14 halftime lead.
 
Girls: Tigers 60, Benson 43
MACA made the short trip to Benson for the season opener on November 30. The occasion was the Case IH Invite. It was a winning night for the Tiger crew, 60-43 over host Benson. We achieved a 32-27 lead at halftime.
Maddie Carrington made three 3-point shots to account for her nine points. Riley Decker and Liz Dietz each made one '3', and it was Decker topping the scoring list with 12 points. Dietz contributed eleven points to the winning effort. The list continues with Carrington and Malory Anderson each with a total of nine. Sophia Carlsen put in eight points while Kylie Swanson scored six and Emma Bowman five.
Our top rebounders were Anderson with seven, Dietz with five and Carrington with four. Decker executed two assists. Anderson was deft with her movements and stole the ball six times. Decker and Carrington each contributed two steals.
Benson had a dominating scorer in Claire Ricard who put in 20 points. Kaitlyn Berreau scored seven followed by Abby Lundebrek and Beth Cain each with six. The list concludes with Abbie Mitteness and Melissa Connelly each with two. Berreau and Ricard each made a three-pointer. Ricard was Benson's top rebounder with five followed by Berreau with three. Ricard dished out four assists for the Braves while Mitteness had two. Hannah Andrews had two steals.
 
Girls hockey: Storm 3, Park Rapids 2
The MBA hockey girls needed a little time to build up scoring steam in their November 17 game at the Park Rapids ice. The Storm had no goals in the first period, then got going with one in the second and two in the third. The offense was sufficient for a satisfying 3-2 victory. Park Rapids scored one goal each in the first and third periods.
Alexa Kennedy scored the first goal of the game which was for Park Rapids, at 16:39 of the first. MBA evened things up in period No. 2 as Taryn Picht got the puck in the net at 6:07. MBA enjoyed momentum after that as Picht found the scoring touch again at :10 of the third period, this time assisted by Kortney Sanasack and Danielle Reuss. MBA went up 3-1 thanks to a power play goal by Sanasack assisted by Reuss and Hannah Zimmel (3:35).
Park Rapids scored the game's final goal which was a short-handed performance by Kennedy at 14:12.
Leah Thompson worked in goal for the winning Storm and she had 36 saves. Park Rapids' Kylee Pachel notched 26 saves. The first four minutes of the third period were decisive.
 
Service of Remembrance at Pedersen's
It is with regret that we ever do business with a funeral home. Death is the ultimate setback in life. Because it is reality for us all, it must be confronted, however sad. Sad yes, but uplifting too, to be reminded of the memories of loved ones.
In a past time I visited the Pedersen Funeral Home Service of Remembrance with camera on behalf of the Morris newspaper. I would like to still be involved with that sort of thing, but we cannot always make those decisions. Sometimes the writing is just on the wall. I smile as I remember the year when I popped a cake into the oven and went to the funeral home, timed in such a way that I'd get back just in time to get the cake out. I remember photographing the Mahoneys as they admired the finely decorated Christmas tree, then I returned back home with my timing having been quite precise.
In those days I'd prepare a cake for our family of three - Mom and Dad still alive. I don't recall if neighbor Les Lindor was still alive in the year to which I'm referring. For a long time in Les' twilight years, when he had become a widower due to the death of wife Gina, I'd trot across to his place with a piece of cake every time I baked a cake. I remember once arriving at his door when he had WCROC colleague Steve Poppe as visitor. Steve seemed so impressed, saying "you mean you have cake delivered?"
It is no longer practical for me to bake a cake at home.
This year I had the somber task of going to the funeral home for the Service of Remembrance, as a family member of a deceased loved one. Mom Martha is in heaven now. She left us in April. She was in home hospice for a year: Knute Nelson. You are fortunate to ever have services provided by Knute Nelson.
Eventually death comes and the appropriate professional services are needed. OK it's costly. That applies to quite a bit these days. I was able to deal with it albeit with cost reduction measures like cremation instead of the traditional funeral. I see no need for embalming. Mom is in heaven now, probably at the side of her husband Ralph, which friends have advised me, but maybe she's at the side of her parents Hilda and Andrew Ohlson. Or, brother Edwin and sister Mildred.
Only recently did I discover that Andrew had a previous wife who was named Johanek or Johanna. I saw that name with "Ohlson" on the website for Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd. Never before had I heard of Johanek who died in 1920, four years before my mom was born. My mom was born four days before George H.W. Bush.
I don't see why Mom should have had inhibitions talking about Johanek. Surely I'd like to know more about her. I see no evidence that Andrew and Johanek had children but I can't be totally sure about that yet. I'm at the stage in life where I'm getting very interested in family history.
I wish to thank Brooke Sanders of the funeral home in particular, for her work connected to the deaths of both Dad and Mom. She was totally warm, capable, patient etc., all the qualities of a fine funeral home professional. She lit my memorial candle on Sunday at the Service of Remembrance. Such a touching occasion. Even though, I'd prefer being "in and out" and getting home to get a cake out of the oven. I'm salivating thinking about it.
I'd like to write that I'd like to give Brooke a kiss on the cheek, but I suppose that'd be sexist. Shane Decker of Pedersen's is the father of Riley Decker who I write about in connection with girls basketball. Riley was a star on the volleyball court too, a particular standout in "digging." It will be fun following all the girls basketball action of this coming winter. I'll be watching Maddie Carrington as she regularly makes 3's I'm sure. Maddie's grandmother Laura is in heaven with my mom and dad now. Knowing Laura as I did, I think she would have been enthusiastic about Donald Trump for a time, then to become less enthusiastic and to maybe be skeptical by now.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment