"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Verses to celebrate our state's intangibles

We can breathe a sigh of relief that we aren't having an "Iowa winter" after all. We look around and see the standard carpet of snow.
I wondered recently if climate change might threaten our expected surroundings in winter. We expect drifts, snow removal equipment and snowmobiles as we cope. Lack of snow might seem to spell relief. But there's an increasing dreariness with that. Iowa or Missouri is not where we want to be.
The Solstice recently passed. It's the shortest day of the year. The curtain of darkness sets in early. The carpet of snow means we see the reflection of moonlight cast over our pastoral surroundings. An air of peace is suggested.
So I penned a song called "Minnesota Moon" just last night. I'll insert the usual thought here: I don't know if I'll have it recorded. I enjoy writing songs and poetry a lot. My limit on recorded songs is six a year. I think I did five last year.
I have written three Minnesota-themed songs and one inspired by North Dakota, a state I once traversed regularly on the east end on I-29. I'd cover those lonesome miles listening to Garner Ted Armstrong on the radio. Armstrong was a forerunner to the kind of talk radio that has become common today - populist in tone.
My first Minnesota-themed song was "Ya Sure You Betcha." Can't beat that title IMHO. Then I penned "We Love Our Life in Minnesota." Now, inspired by our early darkness around Solstice and the moonlight's reflection off snow, I'm proud to unveil the lyrics to my "Minnesota Moon." Here they are:
 
"Minnesota Moon"
by Brian Williams
 
Minnesota lakes invite us all
Minnesota bluffs are standing tall
Minnesota teams try hard to win
Minnesota knows where it has been
 
CLIMB:
But something ageless grips my soul
As timeless as the flying snow
It's something that the Indians loved
For centuries from the sky above
 
CHORUS:
The Minnesota Moon stays in my soul
No matter where I roam
The sound of the loon makes my heart grow
And calls me to my home
I pine for the lakes and the fields
My trusty snowmobile
The Minnesota Moon connects us to what's real
  
 
Minnesota small towns have the charm
Minnesota schools are safe and warm
Minnesota churches feel the peace
Minnesota puts us all at ease
 
CLIMB (new lyrics):
But something primal in our midst
Is something we cannot resist
It hearkens to a boundless past
Before the modern die was cast

(repeat chorus)
 
Minnesota sunsets calm you down
Minnesota hockey is renowned
Minnesota farmers are robust
Minnesota loves you just because
 
CLIMB (new lyrics):
The ravens in the northern woods
Can see more than we ever could
And even when the nighttime falls
We see enough to be enthralled

(repeat chorus)
  

The Solstice and legend of St. Lucia
Last summer I was pleased to pen some lyrics that have quite the direct connection to the Solstice. This song is about the Legend of St. Lucia or "St. Lucy." It is a rite that has been recognized by our Sons of Norway chapter in Morris. The rite has quite the ties to Scandinavia.
Wikipedia informs us: St. Lucy's Day, also called the Feast of St. Lucy, is a Christian feast day celebrated on December 13 in Advent. It commemorates St. Lucy, a Third Century martyr under the Diocletianic Persecution, who according to legend brought "food and aid to Christians hiding in the catacombs" using a candle-lit wreath to "light her way and leave her hands free to carry as much food as possible." Her feast once coincided with the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year before calendar reforms, so her feast day has become a Christian festival of light.
Here is my creative offering in song:

"Ballad of St. Lucy"
by Brian Williams

Land of my forebears
Land of my folks
Land where the Vikings
Took off in boats
Just like in Star Trek
They saw it all
Born of a spirit
Standing so tall

North of Great Britain
Where the snow flies
Darkness comes calling
Early at night
Just when we're fearing
End of the world
Here comes St. Lucy
Wonderful girl

CHORUS:
St. Lucy is coming with candles and food
Her white dress penetrates the night
In Sweden and Norway it makes us feel good
To see her radiate her light


Deep in December
We think it's bleak
Darkness pervasive
Brightness we seek
Advent is with us
Christmas is near
So let's be joyous
Make it be clear

Honor St. Lucy
Martyr she was
Helping the faithful
Showing her love
Christians in hiding
Got a reprieve
With her sweet visits
'Cause she believed

(repeat chorus)

Wreath full of candles
Perched on her head
So she could carry
Full loaves of bread
Light made it certain
Christ was at hand
Tender his vision
Wise his command

Here comes St. Lucy
With her red sash
Doing her mission
Loving her task
Passion so selfless
Surely she's blessed
Striving for others
No time for rest

(repeat chorus)

Darkness envelopes
Stretches its cape
Deep in December
Seems no escape
Welcome the schoolgirl
Who does the job
Power becomes her
It comes from God

Legend has power
Legend makes waves
So this old story
Lives on today
Anywhere Nordics
Put down their stakes
They will embrace it
They will have faith

(repeat chorus)


- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment