"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Thursday, June 20, 2019

White doves take messages to heaven

Knute Nelson's Grand Arbor
I may have reached the end of the formal grieving process for my mother. I attended a memorial dove release Wednesday at the spectacular Grand Arbor in Alexandria, in a part of the community I hadn't seen before. The new high school is close by.
All this development of state of the art things is sort of jaw-dropping for someone from Morris. We may love our Morris but not because of anything ostentatious here. We lack the tourist type amenities of Alexandria. I heard years ago that Alex was one of those lake communities on the more modest end of the economic spectrum. In other words, not as many super rich people there. As I departed Wednesday, going past a Fleet Farm that seemed big enough for the Minnesota Twins to play in, I was quite convinced there was nothing economically disadvantaged about Alexandria at all.
Think back to the 1960s, when our world was so much different, more modest, and how Bob's Clothes Shop on Alexandria's main street seemed like a big deal. Many of us in Morris watched KCMT TV out of Alex much of the time. In our neighborhood it was all of the time, until we got the "able cable." And on KCMT we'd watch commercials for Bob's Clothes Shop featuring "Bob and the Twins."
I thought it cool to finally visit there once with my parents. I wonder if their marketing did much to offset the high prices. I watched a couple walk out of there in a huff as they commented on high prices. Fleet Farm and other like stores of today make high clothing prices a thing of the past, another example of how we're blessed by today's lifestyle and standards. Can either political party take credit for this? Donald Trump believes in all the proper market principles but he's steering too much of the wealth to the very richest class.
The dove release reminded us of the life of my mother Martha. The idea was to send a message via the white dove to the deceased loved one. The event ended up more emotional than I thought it would be. You might think the grieving was essentially over, given that 14 months have gone by since Mom passed on to the next life. But no, the feeling of loss can become very fresh again. It's prodded by seeing some of the familiar and warm faces associated with Knute Nelson Hospice.
The Knute Nelson name is synonymous with Alexandria. The enterprise bearing that name put up the spectacular Grand Arbor complex. My, it has all the bells and whistles. Nothing in Morris is comparable. The dove release was held at the Healing Garden of that facility.
I whispered to the dove that everything was going OK in my life - Mom would want to know that, in fact she would care about nothing else. As far as her needs are concerned, without a doubt they're being met where she is now.
I can only get one phrase out in situations like this, because emotions prevent me from saying any more. Something just seems to kick in. I first realized this when I rose to speak about my late aunt Vi (wife of my blood uncle Howard) at the Glenwood nursing home. They were having monthly memorial services for recently deceased residents. A minister presided. I wasn't anticipating having any problem speaking, but after a few words I was hopeless. I remembered how Vi would always serve coffee right after we arrived for a holiday like Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving.
Such a routine memory and yet it meant everything. I have wondered: who is Mom with in heaven, her husband Ralph, her parents Andrew and Hilda, her siblings Edwin and Mildred, our dogs Misty, Heidi and Sandy? All of them? Have you ever wondered how old your loved ones will be when you see them in heaven? Is it possible age won't mean anything?
My father died in 2013. He'd be tickled that I recently visited the McNamara Alumni Center at the U of M, primarily in his memory but also in Mom's. Dad graduated from the U in 1939 and really invested his whole life in the institution. Mom too contributed much to the U.
In all my associations with the U of M, I use my middle initial of "R" because that's for Ralph, my father's name. I have told people at UMM that it's essential for the Williams name to always have a meaningful connection to the University.
I walked out on the McNamara Center plaza where typical-appearing students were at tables doing their usual student thing - bless them. I was amused as I fancied myself rather a "big shot" with my hair turning white, wearing a white suit coat and having a name tag with "president's club" on it! None of this would be possible without the University of Minnesota.
As for Knute Nelson Hospice, I never expected this but they're an extension of my family for the rest of my life, 100 percent. Those faces are among the most precious in my existence.
The Memorial Dove Release program began with us singing "Jesus Loves Me," incredible because that was Mom's favorite song. A few minutes later we sang "On Eagle's Wings," incredible because that's a shared favorite of yours truly and Warrenn and Jeri Anderson. We joke about how, when all else fails and we're asked to recommend a hymn, just suggest "On Eagle's Wings!"
But it was a white dove's wings that ensured that our messages will be taken to heaven. Words cannot describe the joy. I could mention several names from Knute Nelson Hospice but I'll just cite Adrianna and Stephanie here. I used to bend down and say to Mom, "our friend Adrianna is here!"
Everyone attending the dove release immediately had a sense of connectedness.
Coming home Wednesday, I dealt with the "roundabout" between Alexandria and Glenwood. No mysteries like that in our humble town of Morris, where we've lost our barber and are now saying goodbye to Shopko, oh and the summer Prairie Pioneer Days too. Life goes on.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com
Interior scene in Knute Nelson Grand Arbor, Alexandria MN

No comments:

Post a Comment