"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

"Muskrat Love" by car dealership?

Muskrat makes its rounds
Have you noticed the depression in the little road that enters Heartland Motors from the east, from the service road network? There's a big pond next to the road. Was the depression a normal part of the design? I have had reason to go there recently and thought nothing of it. Don't wish to discuss the reason because there was a monetary element!
In the last few days I heard an interpretation of the depression or low spot. Don't know if this source had absolute facts at his disposal. It seemed he did but one cannot be sure. Informed speculation? Let's get to the heart of the matter: it is suggested that muskrats have been at work. Yes, the animal kingdom.
I live in a semi-rural setting so I'm aware of how nature makes inroads. I could list many of the usual culprits. Muskrats would be a new one. I have seen muskrats do their thing in the days when my father took me duck hunting. They're cute little creatures actually.
It is suggested that muskrats have done some digging to affect the entry to the car dealership. If true, it's another example of how creatures of the wild can seem benign until they do something that affects you. I'll mention here that we're in August, the month when bats are at their worst as a pest in Minnesota. The hints of fall no doubt cause the winged pests to get into structures more.
Pest control professionals do not respond to skunk calls. They will give you some free advice over the phone. Upon reflection, I can see why it's not practical for the pros to deal with skunks. No matter how professional they are, they cannot guarantee that something bad will not happen. Another problem: even if you live-trap a skunk, if it's a female and has young ones close by, the young ones would be susceptible to dying, and then you'd have skunk carcasses to deal with, right?
I learned that skunks have their babies in May. A neighbor once mentioned he had a skunk get into a window well. A little research shows that's a common occurrence. So, to be prepared, have a board handy that is the right size to insert in the window well, so the furry fellow can get out. Yes, one can panic easily in such situations.
Little brown bat
Bats really freak people out. The going rate for having a bat professional visit is about $700. Well, when you need the service, you really need it. Have you heard or read that it's illegal to kill a bat? You might have. Be advised that the purpose of this "law" is to restrain the bat pros, so if they discover a whole colony they don't just destroy it. Bats have a role in our ecology. I have suggested to Steve Poppe that the WCROC horticulture garden install a couple "bat houses." These are known to attract excited viewers in the twilight hours. Steve says the idea has been discussed.
I once had my mom in church when a bat started flapping up around the ceiling. I took Mom out. I wondered if the service would be ended very soon, but I heard later it was not. A big net was used to corral the animal, I learned. Shall I assume that every church has a net handy like that? Ah, the details that a minister must be aware of.
My father had a storage shed installed on the west end of our property many years ago. It appears sunken a little, no doubt due to critters, perhaps groundhogs which I've seen occasionally but not on an ongoing basis. I wouldn't expect to see one this time of year.
We're doing well hosting cottontail rabbits on Northridge Drive, thank you. No one in our neighborhood these days will shoot them, and I'm thankful for that. Might even be illegal because we're in the city limits (on the edge). Mom and I found the rabbits to be pleasant companions.
Some people are bothered by squirrels but Mom and I weren't.
There are more skunks out and around than you realize. That's because their activity is nocturnal. They are not real defensive creatures and they don't need to be, as they know they have the most potent weapon, to be deployed vs. an adversary of any size. Skunks only deploy the weapon if they feel very threatened.
I wish my father had not installed the storage shed because mice get in there. I will not put a lawn mower or similar equipment in there, and now that I have just one car, there's room in the garage. After Mom died I discarded my father's prize 1991 Lincoln Town Car. Got a grand total of $200 for it.
My experience with creatures of the wild has made me not want to feed the birds anymore. No point in tossing black oil sunflower seeds out and around. Thistle seed is expensive! We did have some fun doing that, though. I'll never forget how we attracted the grand rose-breasted grosbeaks. I inquired if those were rare and was told "no" by the local expert - there are pockets of them.
The highlight of my bird watching was to catch a glimpse of a gray jay, out of its usual territory, in our backyard. It's not unusual to see birds out of place sometimes, I was told - "they fly!"
Go to Niemackl Park in spring to appreciate birds. I've heard you might see a scarlet tanager. There's a peaceful and charming YouTube video of a muskrat making its rounds in winter at Niemackl.
"Muskrat Love" is a soft rock song that shows us anthropomorphic muskrats. Their names are Susie and Sam. Ah, cute. The song was first recorded in 1972. The group "America" recorded a cover in 1973 and it was a minor hit, reaching No. 67 (yes, minor).
Then along came Captain and Tennille, the "Love Will Keep Us Together" duo that eventually got divorced. No big deal about their marriage, but they were superbly talented in the pop field. They recorded "Muskrat Love" in 1976 and found the sweet spot for presenting the tune. Their version rocketed up to No. 4 on the Hot 100 chart. Cash Box ranked it the 30th biggest hit of 1976.
Scott Long would laugh at this
Was the gopher in the movie "Caddyshack" truly anthropomorphic? Probably not, even though this industrious little fellow did his jive-dance. I first saw this movie with Scott Long at the Morris Theater. Scott could hardly control himself laughing at the Bill Murray character. Just imagine those little muskrats at the Heartland Motors pond charming us likewise.
Critters such as these can charm and they can be a real menace. Did I say I personally saw them? On Sunday morning when I was on bike, I stopped by the Heartland pond and immediately saw 3-4 of the little fellows bobbing in the water on the south end.
Is it still just speculation that the animals are causing the entry road to sink some? Might someone want to dispatch the animals? Would pest control do this? Maybe if certain interests wanted to seek insurance to cover damage, the animals should be allowed to live so as to document their presence. Besides, how could you possibly dispatch them after hearing Captain and Tennille's "Muskrat Love?"
For the record, any pest issues at the wonderful Williams residence on Northridge Drive are addressed. A bat pro came and we addressed three issues, one of which was seen as most likely, and for that I had a little home improvement job done by the very capable Mark Woolridge. The problem was a slightly sagging portico ceiling. I couldn't figure out how the bat could get into the basement but they need only a tiny crack of space.
A skunk scare came and went, thank goodness. It was a mother that had young ones in spring. The problem spot has been addressed with chicken wire and bricks. 
I plant zinnias generously in early summer and rabbits have not been a problem. I don't store anything with a motor in the storage shed anymore. On one occasion the wizard Glen Helberg, when he was still with us, fixed our rider and only charged me cost. God bless his memory.
I still "talk" to the rabbits through our picture window facing north sometimes. Mom enjoyed having them as company. I'd say "Look Mom, Mr. Rabbit is here!" Maybe there's a song there. Mom was not as charmed by "Mr. Fox."
I have heard that if you extend your hand in winter with sunflower seed in it, a chickadee might come and land right on your hand! Haven't experimented with that yet.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment