"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Four 3's by MacKenna Kehoe in 71-33 win

MACA enjoyed resounding success in girls hoops on Tuesday, Dec. 3. The winning margin was nearly 40 points! The blow-out success was at the expense of the ACGC Falcons in Grove City. The WCC contest ended with a score of 71-33.
The complexion of the game was fully set by halftime. Coach Dale Henrich had to be smiling halfway through as his team was up 41-14. We outscored the Falcons 30-19 in the second half. The success pushed our record to 2-1.
Scoring balance was a feature for the orange and black. Malory Anderson topped our list with 19 points. MacKenna Kehoe thrilled with three-point shooting as she made four such shots. She was second-high in scoring with 13 points. Then came LaRae Kram with 12 points and Emma Bowman with 11. Three other Tigers put points in: Kylie Swanson (8), Kendra Wevley (6) and Meredith Carrington (2).  Bowman made a 3-pointer.
Diamond Picotte was a bright spot for the host Falcons as she scored 14 points including three 3-pointers. She was the only Falcon to make a '3'. There wasn't much productivity to back up Picotte. Jeana Denton scored six points, Shayna Hobson five, and Rachel Wilner and Daniela Parker four each. Hobson worked the boards to collect seven rebounds. Denton picked up five assists. Hobson and Wilner each had three steals. Denton and Hobson each had a blocked shot.

Boys hockey: Storm 6, W-DC 0
Boys hockey had an upbeat showing for MBA on Tuesday. The MBA cause picked up a 6-0 triumph over Wadena-Deer Creek. Chase Engebretson worked capably in goal and picked up 30 saves. Fans of the Storm enjoyed this shutout success at our Lee Center.
We gained momentum as the game progressed as we scored one goal in the first period, two in the second and three in the third.
It was Jack Riley getting our scoring going with the first period goal at 15:32. Tyler Buss assisted. Zach Bruns got into the scoring picture in the second period. Bruns scored a power play goal at 7:34 with an assist from Will Breuer. Then it was Riley scoring again to make the score 3-0. This Riley goal came at 14:27 and had Bruns assisting.
The first of our three third period goals was by Brady DeHaan and it had Matthew Tolifson assisting at 1:07. Then it was Riley putting the puck in the net unassisted at 8:56. Riley scored our last goal which was at 11:42, assisted by Breuer and Bruns. Josh Dykhoff was the W-DC goalie and he had 29 saves in 35 attempts.
 
Boys hoops: 'Waska 57, Tigers 43
The season opener brought defeat for the MACA hoops boys versus Minnewaska Area. This was the Lakers' second game of the season. Both have ended in wins. The Thursday story was a 57-43 win for the 'Waska crew. 'Waska enjoyed a 15-point bulge at halftime with the score 35-20.
Three of our Tigers each made one three-point shot: Durgin Decker, Brandon Jergenson and Cameron Koebernick. Our offense was rather anemic with just one Tiger scoring in double figures: Jackson Loge with 13 points. It's pretty thin after that with the rest of the list as follows: Decker (6), Jergenson (5), Koebernick (5), Toby Gonnerman (5), Cade Fehr (4) and Riley Reimers (2). Note: These individual totals are from the West Central Tribune and they add up to 40 points, not the team total 43.
Loge had the team-best nine rebounds. Three Tigers each produced two assists: Jaden Maanum, Jergenson and Gonnerman. Jergenson and Gonnerman each had a steal, and Loge blocked three shots.
'Waska's offense was powered to a large extent by Grant Jensen who scored 22 points. Aaron Ver Steeg scored 12 points and Peyton Johnsrud 11. The list continues with Brady Hoffman (6), Drew Nelson (3) and Luke Barkeim (3). Nelson, Ver Steeg and Barkeim each connected for a '3'.
Ver Steeg and Sam Hested each had six rebounds. Johnsrud and Jensen each had two assists. Hested and Barkeim each had two steals. Hoffman blocked three shots.

A pickle with water treatment plant
We're tempted to scratch heads, I feel based on experience, with how to react to the development with the City of Morris water treatment plant. Hard to know what to make of it all. Would be so simple if everyone just got the word: "Hey, just unplug your softener." Then either do it yourself, if the procedure seems obvious, or have the "water treatment professionals" come but they wouldn't have the option of selling you something expensive. Or just confusing you.
The Tuesday Morris paper was a problem because the words in the front page article were so sharp, ominous and maybe even threatening. If you have an old softener and just decide to sit on it a while, well I guess you'll get in legal trouble.
I pulled some strings and tried to address my own situation. But I ended up rather upset and sent a lengthy email to a city official, who I won't specify here. But I will share the email. Read, because all this could be relevant to you sometime soon.
 
Hello (name withheld):
I'd just like to communicate on the water treatment plant and the burden it's imposing on lots of people. I am quite sure there are many Morris residents who have "old" water softeners. At my house, my parents had ours installed and I can't tell you when it was put in. There is nothing wrong with old equipment or assets if they work well.
I think maybe the City could have communicated better about the kind of obligations people were going to have, due to the new plant. I have felt considerable confusion. I remember several months ago getting a postcard that had the look of an official government communication, oh but it was from Culligan. I thought it was deceptive. The card said they'd be happy to come and inspect and they could do this with any make of softener.
I have nothing against private business but of course it has incentive to make money. Our softener was Kinetico. I say "was" because yesterday I had a new one put in by Eco Water. Although I did not like this whole process, I give a grade of A-plus to Eco Water, very nice and professional people.
Why did I finally act? Well, it was because of that front page newspaper article with a very ominous, almost threatening tone, about how people with old softeners would be "in violation of the law." Sheesh. So, is the city going to send people with law enforcement credentials around? Really? Just because some people might not want to immediately shell out four or five thousand dollars for a new softener?
It is condescending for the City or the newspaper to preach about how great it will be to not have to buy so much salt. Granted, but you'll have to buy a new softener for a considerable sum. I told Blaine Hill I could buy a lot of salt sacks for the $1500 I spent on the new softener. The only reason I spent as little as $1500 is that I told Eco Water that I live alone and don't use much water. I got to thinking later: what if I suddenly marry a divorcee with four kids, well that would surely change things. You smile but I'm making a serious point. I guess I'll have to rule out getting married now.
The newspaper is not part of the City of Morris. We shouldn't have to rely on any newspaper articles. If the water treatment plant is a city project, with consequences for all of us, the City should communicate comprehensively from the get-go.
Let me review: at the start I asked Mohr Plumbing if they might inspect our softener. This was when I arranged for my annual fall furnace check. They said no and this is understandable. What if a company were to tell a resident that they don't need a softener anymore, and then in a few months that resident's hot water heater went to hell, and there's evidence that the water wasn't that good after all? The resident could sue.
I had a Kinetico rep come one day, cost $100. He looked at the softener and said it was too old for him to really evaluate. He was non-commitall about what to do so I finally suggested I just leave everything as is. He did not dispute that. Later when the Eco Water people were here, they said a new Kinetico softener would have cost about $6000. Oh, and they have a name for Culligan: "Call again" (for the allegedly bad service).
So I stood pat without doing anything for a while, until I saw that cotton pickin' front page newspaper article with the legal threat. So I called Eco Water and at first I thought maybe they could just disconnect the softener. That's what I asked for. Their service visit was going to be "free" and that should have been a red flag. When the guy got here I asked if the water would be good enough with the softener simply unhooked, and he said no, and he cited potential problems with the hot water heater. I have had to deal with the hot water heater being replaced in the past - no picnic.
Well, everything developed just the way I should have feared, with me in a position of simply having to get a new softener. And I feel no consolation having to "buy less salt." In my case, my checkbook could handle the obligation but not everyone would be so fortunate.
If I were the type of person who never looked at the paper, I might not even know about the water treatment plant. Is the City ready to punish people who simply may not know what's going on?
I really wish I could have just had the softener unhooked - that was the most desirable resolution. I would be very surprised if the City doesn't start getting a lot of complaints about this.
 
Click on the link below to read a full post I wrote today on the City of Morris water treatment plant and confusion it has caused. This post is on my "Morris of Course" companion blog, and as always thanks for reading.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment