"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Friday, January 31, 2020

Girls beat Montevideo to arrive at ten wins

Tigers 59, Montevideo 38
The Tigers visited Thunder Hawk country of Montevideo for Thursday (1/30) action. I remember visiting there a few times when I was with the Morris newspaper. I remember the exquisite mural that showed the silhouette of an Indian with headdress, symbolizing "Mohawks." That was the long-ago nickname. Intentions were surely good but times change, so eventually Montevideo opted away from the Native American symbol.
Shall I assume the mural is no longer there? It was nice artwork.
Today's Thunder Hawks of Monte came up short against our MACA Tigers Thursday. The outcome seemed settled at halftime when the score stood 37-21. Then in the second half, the orange and black took care of business with a 22-17 scoring advantage. We reached the ten-win plateau with this 59-38 victory.
Our record is 10-8 while Monte was left at 4-14.
Meredith Carrington made two 3-pointers to build her team-best point total of 18. Kendra Wevley posted double figures with 14. MacKenna Kehoe had nine points all of which came from her three 3-pointers. Kylie Swanson and Malory Anderson each scored six points and LaRae Kram had two. The individual point totals here add up to 55, not 59, sorry. The information is from the West Central Tribune.
Monte had two players standing out in scoring: Avery Koenen with 16 points and Jasmine Kronbeck with 12. Rose O'Malley put in four points, and Greta Rongstad and Tenley Epema each had three. Koenen sank two 3-point shots. Epema and Rongstad each made one long-ranger.

Is Hancock the bigger town?
The Morris newspaper either is not aware or does not care that a lot of people think the emphasis on Hancock is too great. I wonder if the Hancock Record would still exist if our county had not gone through its phase of Forum Communications newspaper ownership. A good bet would be "yes." If Hancock people really don't miss it, that's a worrisome sign for the newspaper business.
People can get by just fine without a local newspaper. I mean, other communications means have blossomed.
Let's see, "Hancock school donates 80 desks to Orphan Grain Grain." That's nice, another of those "nice" articles that I really don't think accomplishes much. We all know there are various local interests doing "nice" things all the time. Let's turn to page 2. Is this really the Morris paper? "Hancock one-act cast competes," and "Hancock school menu," and "Hancock public school addition update."
It's like the paper is outright rubbing it in with the Hancock emphasis. Don't those people hear any comments out and around? Do I really need to know the Hancock school menu?
If the Hancock paper still existed, Katie Erdman would be the editor. Now she's the editor of the Morris paper. Permanent? It's hard to know about that. She's a year older than me so she's on Medicare, which is really nice. I worked with her for a very long time. At the end of it all, the company felt I needed harassing. Well, all's fair.
Life is too short to deal with those tensions. Katie has been through an odyssey where she left the Morris paper, landed with the Anfinsons and has now made her triumphant return. Her last two columns puzzle me a little. She said she grew skeptical about blogging because it's so expensive. That's a head-scratcher. Back when I got a tip about starting a blog, I was told to simply go to the Google Blogger system and it'd be a breeze. It was. And it's totally free. And, I can't think of anything I cannot do on my two sites.
Katie writes in her column that apparently there is disagreement between the paper and city council on how the current water treatment issues are to be viewed. I wish Katie would elucidate more. She basically admitted there was discord but did not get into the details of any grievance or the paper's response. This begs for a follow-up column but I wouldn't expect one.
I ended up writing about six blog posts on the water treatment matter and I wish I had written zero. I got dragged into a thicket of total confusion even though I went directly to the city office to try to figure out what to do. If the city could have just explained to me what action to take, I would have done it. I seek to be a good citizen.
Instead it all turned out to be a mess. A city council member emailed me to say some people will find the new city water good enough for them, while others won't. Huh? I'm not even sure what category I'd be in. Would I accept slightly substandard water? I don't know. I have no basis to make a judgment.
I think Katie's problem was that there was a front page article attributing to the council that people with "old" softeners will end up in the slammer. OK I exaggerate, but such people were apparently going to be found "in violation of the law," which is not a place where you want to be. This came across as unreasonably harsh.
Since then, the city has extended the message that it won't be barging into people's home's - a man's home is his castle - to evaluate softeners. We won't need to hear the "Dragnet" theme song. I am actually very bitter about all my dealings on this.
Wait a minute, I'm not done reacting to the current Morris newspaper. Wow! There's a whopper of an inappropriate headline on the top of page 1B, the front sports page. It is laughably inappropriate. "Tiger swim and dive team tops Perham for first win in decade." Ahem. Kids in swimming and diving are in the activity for enrichment and health - I suspect that "winning" doesn't enter into the equation much, or shouldn't. There is only one basketball article on page 1B and it's about: Hancock.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment