"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Whither all of us with cold approaching?

The wind howls on this first day of October. The early pioneers were surprised at how truly intense the wind could be out here. I live in a neighborhood where the effects of the northwest wind in winter can be really felt. Some people might think my back yard is a little overgrown, but in winter it's an asset. Perhaps this upcoming winter is when I'll experiment with some of that synthetic snowfence. Usually it's orange, the kind you wear for deer hunting, but my neighbors to the east have some green which seems more logical. 
The land rises to the north from our neighborhood. The wind comes on strong over expansive farmland. Corn was harvested just a few days ago. Craig Beyer came to my place recently and did his expected fine job relieving me of some brush piles. My father had an old crude wooden snowfence that I'm sure got pretty much obliterated by storms. There was one storm in particular that was weird because the wind was from the northeast. A single storm can take such a toll. 
We had large hail a few years back that resulted in a little insurance help for a new roof. Both my parents are gone now, so I wish to show I can stay on top of property issues. I found that as I was forced to take on these matters more, I could handle it! My parents wanted sole responsibility when they were in the prime of their lives. I doubt I could have second-guessed them on anything. 
Early October spells some concern or anxiety this time around. The concern comes from more than one direction. The sheer inevitability of winter might cause furrowed brows. We can find some joy in the Minnesota winter but it's offset by the obvious "down" factors. Haven't we had enough forced time indoors, due to the pandemic? 
I have written that the spring and summer gave us some relief from the developing health threat. I have written that long walks on the biking/walking trail were a nice escape from the anxiety, as we entered the tranquility of nature. Many have chosen this route. Now I sit here over my instant coffee on October 1, wondering how we'll cope when our escape options erode. More forced time indoors. 
Countering this, is an evident trend toward denial. It's as if a lot of people are saying they've had it with the pandemic and its forced adjustments. There's a collective proclamation of "enough," perhaps unspoken in large part. It is hard for us to acknowledge or admit because we'd be admitting to a higher hospitalization and death toll. The darkest thought is this: are we caving in to a subconscious impulse to accept that many people age 75 and older are simply going to have to die? 
The younger (and cuter) people with their kids in sports and such, are going to bull their way forward. Oh, I know all about the almost insane intensity that can be shown by parents of kids in organized activities, especially sports. Sports in spades. 
I think back to when MACA girls basketball had its last game last season. It was at Minnewaska Area. I attended because of my long-time closeness to a couple of the families. I'll name-drop: Kehoe and Carrington. It was a fun and exhilarating night despite the losing outcome. And it's significant in my memory because it was a night of such standard vitality for such things - a state of affairs we just assume - right before the brakes were applied. 
At the time of our last normal church service at First Lutheran, no one had an inkling of what was coming. It developed that fast. On the following Sunday, I learned that our church council was 50/50 about having a regular service. The "no" sentiment prevailed. But now what's happening? Haven't we heard fears about a "second wave?" The convergence of the virus with influenza? Is anyone saying this thing is in the rear view mirror? 
But look what's happening: The first Lutheran publication says our council "resolved to re-open the church for inside Sunday worship services, starting on Sunday, Nov. 1." We read that "best safe practices" will be encouraged. I'm not sure how much more feasible this policy is now, than it would have been over the past few months. 
 
The background thinking
There is a legitimate fear here, the same one we should fear for school. And that is: self-interest of the institutions involved. I suspect that leaders of organized church figure "it's all over" if the closure were to continue over the upcoming seemingly endless cold weather months. I must emphasize: fellowship is the purpose of church. You can have faith and be a Christian without belonging to a church. So church leaders realize that if fellowship is cut off, people will no longer see a reason to give money. I have felt greatly diminished incentive. 
No one has to belong to a church. If the doors are being opened at present due to some feeling of desperation - a gesture to merely survive - we might well ask some hard questions. Just a month or so ago, I talked a group of us, about six, into going into the sanctuary on a Sunday when the outside service had been cancelled in a borderline situation. I felt: "What the heck, there's only six of us, we can go in and sit separate if we choose." A service was being taped in the sanctuary. The pastor and guest held a talk where both wore masks, so it wasn't easy following them. 
This might have been Dennis Johnson's last time in the sanctuary. If that's true, I'm happy for my role. But on the next Sunday - ahem - there were notes on the church doors telling people to stay out! 
So, at the time there was urgency and determination in respecting the virus. BTW on the Sunday when my little Gideon's band entered, we didn't really distance because the married couples sat together. I of course was alone - such is my life. 
And so, despite the maximum respect shown the virus all summer, we're now talking about in-person again, even though we all know the demographics of church attendance spell "old" quite a bit. Heck, I'm 65 but I'm a boomer and we don't acknowledge the aging process.
 
Reversal with schools
Maybe we'd just like to pretend the virus is going away. Maybe we see some of this in connection to schools too. At first, football and volleyball were declared no-go. And then, a revision. What the heck happened? Same with Big 10 football. My theory is that younger adults just "don't want to take it anymore." They are either trying to pretend the virus isn't bothering us anymore - specious - or they are willing to accept a death toll among the older folks. They'll deny the latter. But I feel it's a fully plausible interpretation. 
Hell hath no fury like sports parents scorned - I have experience to know. 
Church pastors no doubt sense their very livelihood is at stake. Are they, too, willing to stand idly by as vulnerable older folks could be cut down? 
Exacerbating all these circumstances is the continuing presidency of Donald Trump, who ironically, hugely ironically, is so attractive in the eyes of the politically right wing element of "Christianity." If Christianity did not exist, Trump would not be president. Hillary Clinton would have surely pushed a coordinated national response to the virus early-on. The federal government has immense resources that can be tapped - well, look at deficit spending - compared to states. 
But our local Trump supporters, like the folks who live at that place next to East Side Park, would regurgitate at this suggestion. So, let people die, I guess, because Hillary should be in prison because of her emails. We have been reminded of this by bumper stickers on pickups at the parking lot of DeToy's. 
If a true economic implosion were to happen, what all would the fallout be? Stop and think.
  
Addendum: There will be no fans for BBE Jaguar volleyball matches. The shortened season opens on Thursday, Oct. 8. The home opener match on Oct. 13 will be live-streamed for the public. Jaguar football will begin play on Oct. 9 at ACGC. Visitor teams may bring 100 fans with, and home fans can total 150 at football games. Tickets are available from the school activities office on a first-come basis. I share this because MACA's approach is probably the same.
 
The subject is nighttime
My October 1 podcast is about nighttime and how we perceive the dark. I took a long walk beyond the streetlights east of town last night. It got me to wondering if we are more suspicious today of people we see out in such a situation. The permalink:
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment