"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Sunday, November 1, 2020

A growing impulse to just resume normal life

Quick heads-up: My coverage of the Friday MACA Tiger football win, 34-30, is on my "Morris Mojo" podcast. Here's the permalink:
 
We have heard the comment that "the virus doesn't care that people are getting tired of it." Interesting comment and rings of truth. Part of the truth is that everyone around us seems more inclined to gravitate back to normal activity. 
Virus be damned? Maybe that's the conclusion. Of course the virus "doesn't care." We know that. We also know as we plunge into the upcoming winter months, we'll go mad this time around as the limitations are prolonged. Part of us seems to want to defy the limitations. 
I make this conclusion on our first morning of being back on standard time. You know, it would be real easy to miss this. I'll bet some people do. I was aware and so went to my chosen restaurant at the desired time. I was quite surprised to see so many people in there. I noticed only one server at work - used to call them "waitresses" - and she seemed rather harried. I sat in the least busy section but there were four young dudes at a table there, talking and laughing vigorously and with an iPhone that had sound activated. Does it bother you to hear those? From a distance it's just "noise" like the speaker at a fast food drive-through. 
I decided to relieve the restaurant of my business on this hectic morning there, so an hour later I proceeded over to good ol' Don's Cafe. Their hours are more limited than pre-pandemic. Again I noticed that business was brisk. I congratulate both restaurants on attracting decent clientele, but the question is this: are people deciding to just defy the pandemic, to get out of the house and make usual rounds? 
Certainly we don't have a death wish, do we? Maybe we feel the threat of the virus is overblown and that if you're not very old or with substantial health issues already, it's a risk you can survive or at least tolerate. Heck, life has tons of risks anyway. Think of that dude who was struck and killed by the South Dakota attorney general's car at night. You never know when the end will come. 
The investigation into that tragedy should have concluded by now. Quite weird that it has not. Wait 'til after the election? I have actually read that theory, and such is the nature of our times: partisan motivations explain almost everything. (The AG is a Republican.)
The Girl Scouts offered a standard congratulations to the new female Supreme Court justice. If only the justice were a nice mainstream jurist like we would get under a Democratic president like Obama. We can expect nothing like that now, so we have three new justices in the Federalist Society mold. Are you all really prepared to live with the reality of America under that? Have you even thought about all the consequences, or are you Trump supporters just "fans" of this oddball charismatic personality who got into the White House? Maybe you think it's "fun." Harsh realities could be at your doorstep. 
Amy Coney Barrett has a checkered background with her beliefs. The Girl Scouts have gotten fierce pushback and will likely suffer as an organization. What would be so terrible about Merrick Garland being on the Supreme Court? You wouldn't even notice the guy much. Maybe you wouldn't consider that "fun." A pox on all of you. 
Trump could win. We must brace for that reality. 
Looks like my church of First Lutheran tried an in-person service today (Sunday, All Saints Day). The church announced lots of special rules and restrictions of course. It's strange because if in-person is practicable now, we could have done it all along. So what gives? What gives, I think, is that people just can't take the severe shutdown-type restrictions any longer. They don't want to hear lectures about the necessity of precautions any more, even if those lectures would have merit. 
The cold weather is here. We'll be pretty much stuck inside for about five months now. We "bought time" through the warmer months. We could get outdoors for a reprieve. The reprieve is over. 
I might have attended church this morning on impulse but I hadn't signed up. Sign up to attend church? That's the way it is now. I think it would sadden me to be in church because of being aware of all the limitations. I would want so much for the activity to be "normal" again. 
I'll remind you that I attend a church, First Lutheran, with a reputation these days for being politically progressive. What a sea change, because in my younger years, First Lutheran was the epitome of a proper conservative type of organization. Today the fold includes people who vote Democratic. But I'm proud to be associated. 
I'm scared of pushback from the arrogant Trump crowd if their guy should win. I won't seek to be a voice in the wilderness. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat. I told a friend this morning I would tape over the small "Kamala" bumper sticker I have on my Chevy Malibu. Will known Biden supporters end up being sent to the guillotine? I'd say "let's say a prayer" but then I'd be reminded of all the "evangelicals" out there who will be the first to administer the guillotine. There was a plot to put Gretchen Whitmer on trial and execute her. Would it be with a beheading? 
Such is the reality of America in 2020, it would seem.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com
Here's the "chain gang" for the Lac qui Parle Valley football game! Rimshot!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment