"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

UMM softball experience is the same as always

A friend emailed me this photo which he said was on Facebook. At first I wondered if it was legitimate or a doctored photo. A couple years ago I was sent a "University of Minnesota Morrison" logo which of course was altered. I am informed this photo is legitimate. I might question it because it seems premature.
 
UMM softball had a home doubleheader with Martin Luther on Monday. I was lucky enough to happen by on my bicycle, as both my walking and bicycling routes go past the softball facility. We're supposed to call it a "complex" now. 
UMM softball is a delightful thing to be around - it always has been. You might describe the facility as modest but who cares? It's small college softball at its best really, and my comments would end there were it not for the fact that a ton of local money from government entities has gone into developing a "complex." 
The story behind this might be "complex." 
Observing the softball action Monday evening, it was apparent that fans of the Cougars have no more amenities than they ever did. There was a delightful little assemblage there, people in good spirits, even a couple of dogs. One of the dogs reminded me of President Biden's dog and hopefully it's more friendly. So it was fun to be there, but what's with this "softball complex" project that was supposed to deliver such a superior experience, with amenities. If no amenities, what was the point? 
Fans Monday evening were either sitting cross-legged on the grass, or in their own lawnchairs, or they were standing. Nothing wrong with any of that, but what happened with all the public money like with the $150,000 from our City of Morris? The city recently announced that it has said "no" to a second request for money. Was the city blindsided by this request? Is there some friction now? 
If I am wrong in how I am perceiving any of this, I'd appreciate someone getting back to me to clarify and enlighten. What am I missing? I see almost no consideration for fans' interests at the place. The "dugouts" appear overbuilt (with doors) and I'm guessing that's where a lot of the money went. I was expecting to see sidewalks. On the whole the place doesn't look much different than before - a whole lot of flat ground with some fences and dugouts. 
The little building at the center? With what appears to be a concession stand window? What of the cost for ongoing management of this whole place, including concessions? And if it isn't fan-friendly, how will this impact demand for concessions? 
It's raining out as I write this Wednesday morning, and I'll bet the place will be a muddy nightmare. 
We are applying so many resources to fastpitch softball now, but this is a gender-specific sport, for girls/women, whereas soccer involves both genders. My personal push has been toward soccer. You win some, you lose some. 
I finally located a Morris newspaper article online from a while back and of course it's written like a press release to promote the whole thing. Newspapers are on the retreat - it's a fact - and they are scared to alienate people in power. As a writing product of Watergate, I have no such outlook. Sometimes people in power can sell us a bill of goods. 
The Morris public school superintendent has spoken in such an effusive positive way about the project. Is he seeing a whole different place from me? Do I need my eyes examined? Maybe I just don't understand the timetable. Maybe in a year or two all my concerns will be addressed, but I still don't see how fan seating can be handled, not the way it's laid out now. 
The large dugouts are an obstruction for fan viewing IMHO. Couldn't the players just sit on benches? I'd like to see a specific cost figure for the dugouts. 
 
I'm not a stick in the mud
I have a background of being a benefactor for school and youth-related things. I contributed money for the hockey arena. I have made Morris school scholarship contributions in the past. For a time the checks were written from a joint account that had my late mother's name on top. Most notably I have supported UMM, specifically its music. 
So the movers and shakers behind the softball thing might contact me and straighten me out, if such a task can be accomplished. Was Holmberg a prime lobbyist for it? And now a portion of it is named for her? And she unabashedly poses in a picture with the sign? I think I'd rather support the University of Minnesota Morrison.
 
Addendum: Some people might respond to my gender-specific comments re. fastpitch, by saying "well, football is gender-specific for boys." Touche? Well, my response to that would be "the sooner we can get rid of football, the better." No one can look me in the eye and say football is acceptable for our youth from a health standpoint.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment