"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Thursday, July 1, 2021

School board waiting for city's $ gesture?

Dog walkers of the world observe a lot. Don't underestimate that! So a friend sent me an email after having his beloved canine out for a Tuesday night stroll. This friend was aware I had developed some special interest or skepticism about the whole softball thing on east edge of town. It's over by the UMM campus of course. 
UMM is one of three partners that are steering the course with the project. But it might not be that simple. Getting three government-based entities to work together might seem vexing. An observer might easily have expected some trouble or discord. 
My friend who sent the email regularly sees the Morris newspaper which we describe in an irreverent way as the "fishwrap." Remember the old Alfred E. Neuman posters? "Suitable for framing or wrapping fish." 
My current impression of the Morris newspaper is that it doesn't have a nose for controversy. It likes to project a calm, placid picture about things. It may have inadvertently revealed some controversy about the softball project. My friend writes: "In the school board meeting article, it was mentioned that they were waiting to hear from the city council regarding the city's share of the phase 3 funding, but on another page (in the city council article) it was mentioned that the city wasn't going to kick in any more moola." 
I might ask: "Who is 'they?' " "They were waiting to hear from the city council." Maybe "they" is meant to refer to the governing structure of the softball project. I'm not sure, because I don't think the city answers to the school board any more than I would expect the school board to answer to the city. Which just underscores the awkwardness that can come from such arrangements. 
Because the main new varsity field is named for the high school coach, does that give the public school primacy, or what? The city has no direct interest in high school sports, and I would assume the council is properly aware. The city's purpose is to accent recreation as with the skateboard park in west Morris. 
The city manager has asserted in two different kmrs-kkok web postings that the city is backing off from further contributions to the softball "complex." 
My it does get "complex," eh? 
Would that we could just get the State of Minnesota to come in and take over. Remember when our public school concert hall got built? It was breathtaking to see it for the first time. "You're not in Kansas any more." But I don't remember any sort of fundraising push for it. The money was there - no excruciating process to push it along. I would have been aware if there was. 
I would criticize the City of Morris if it got involved at all with the softball project. Just say "good luck but no thanks." 
I wonder what individuals first put forth the suggestion for this. The MACA softball coach? She can be a very persuasive person. I remember when she wrote a letter to the editor in favor of the new school referendum where she said a "yes" vote is like taking advantage of a tire sale. Sounds a little silly but I guess it was logical. 
School referendums have gone well in the most recent chapter of our town's 150-year history. I am 66 years old and remember so well from the '60s how it was like pulling teeth to get a school referendum passed. I guess the "Minnesota Miracle" under Governor Wendell Anderson relieved pressure, finally, on local property taxes. Would be nice to get a "miracle" now to finish the softball thing with no more contortions among local government. 
But alas, we're probably looking at some hair-pulling. Is it worth the distress? 
Now there's talk of a "re-design" which seems to me to be nothing more than a naked admission that the thing has to be scaled back. Would the project have gotten as many private donors with a scaled-back presentation at the start? We might be looking at an ethical issue here. And don't lie to me, please, by saying "maybe we don't need as much parking after all." Or worse yet, "we're worried about balls hitting windshields and hoods." 
I think some of these spokespeople might have had balls hit them in the head. 
My dog-walking friend expressed shock at the parking situation he saw Tuesday. "Holy moly, a plethora of cars! Many parked on both sides of that road - a little scary driving there, you don't know what little kid is going to dart from between parked cars, and not much room for meeting oncoming traffic." 
My own side note: Prairie Lane is often used by walkers and bicyclists. I often use it. These days you might have to slip in between two parked vehicles to allow room for a car to pass. It feels uncomfortable. 
"Speaking of parking," my friend continued, "I saw a lot of cars parked in that UMM lot across the street from the fields. Why can't that lot be used for softball parking all the time? The games are always in the evenings and after school is out for the summer, so it isn't being used for much else." 
And finally, "You're buddies with the big shots at the U, why don't you talk to someone." I'll demur on that. My priority with UMM is music. Who is the new choir director going to be? 
Well, re. my friend's point about the UMM parking lot, sad to say, I'm afraid many people don't wish to walk the distance from there to the east side fields, although it would seem a very short distance. 
UMM softball fans have had it so easy and convenient, using the UMM lot which is right across the street from the long-time UMM field with its brick dugouts. I see virtually no improvement for UMM softball as a result of the current efforts. UMM has had it made with its established facility. So I fail to see why UMM is even a partner in all the goings-on. 
Yes, you can learn a lot walking your dog, or walking or jogging too. Once this past spring, I gave directions to a fan who was on her way to a UMM softball game. Pleased to be of service. 
I'm relieved I did not contribute any $ to the softball project. Had I been hit-up early-on, I would have.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment