"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Friday, September 3, 2021

The defense holds as Tigers win 15-6

One can assume the cloudy and wet conditions prevailed Thursday at Howard Lake just like here in Morris. Football is a sport that can overcome lots of blustery or unpleasant weather. Lightning is the big exception. But conditions were "go" on Thursday evening for the MACA football opener, as we all have fingers crossed for a full football season in spite of the pandemic lingering. 
Let's hope it just "lingers" and doesn't become a full-blown repeat. KFGO radio had breaking news a couple days ago about a prep game being nixed because of the covid wrinkles. So, keep close watch for this. The CW is that covid worries can or will increase with the dry and cool air of fall. I turned on the furnace just this morning. 
At around 5 a.m. I got wet walking around my property to see if a tree might have fallen down - this can happen when the ground gets saturated. My trees are fine. However, I have some quite tall sunflower plants directly in front of the house, some of which have become bent over. I normally don't plant sunflowers there. Our family tradition is to have zinnia flowers there, but I was too late looking for zinnia seeds last spring. 
Two local establishments that used to sell flower seeds - Willie's and Eul's - no longer do. I guess it's a store vs. vendor issue. In the future, maybe we can count on Homestead stocking this. I bought some sunflower and nasturtium seeds at Town and Country, and this all came up decently, but with not enough color. The sunflowers started blossoming at the top just recently. Up 'til then this little plot was 95 percent green. 
Nasturtiums tend to be too much green/leaves. I've read you get more flowers if you water them less. Heck, weeds would be green. But I refresh my knowledge for each spring. Next spring I'll check earlier for the much-desired zinnia seeds. I hope I don't have to go to Alexandria. People tell me you can no longer buy a TV in Morris. Isn't that strange? Sometimes it seems change is happening too fast. 
I had furniture movers remove my old TVs recently - four of them, two large - because I was embarrassed to even have them in my house any more - big, bulky things. I bought a new sofa as part of the bargain. My old sofa was worn but what the heck, I live alone. No one ever visits here. It would help if I could find a geeky girlfriend. 
It would be nice if a friend could visit just to observe some of the interior Christmas decorations I put up, continuing our old family tradition. This includes a nice jigsaw puzzle that shows a dog similar to our last dog, "Sandy." 
Sandy is gone as are my parents. I make do alone. 
The MACA fall coaching staff appears not to be fired-up dealing with media. There is no updated volleyball info on the go-to "Minnesota Scores" site, as of this morning. Coaches seem to be ignoring the West Central Tribune. That makes it hard for yours truly to stay abreast. To the rescue comes the kmrs-kkok site. Absolute kudos to those folks! Eureka! 
So I can report that the MACA football cause prevailed Thursday in the 2021 opener, 15-6 over Howard Lake/Waverly-Winsted. Maybe the games will be lower-scoring this year than last? Durgin Decker was a workhorse with the ground game. Decker rumbled for 150 yards rushing. He broke loose for an exciting 35-yard TD run early in the contest. Decker himself kicked the extra point. 
Howard Lake/Waverly's Collin Boese answered with a 64-yard scoring run. The score at this point is 7-6. The Tigers got some breathing room with a touchdown pass that had Brandon Jergenson throwing and Ethan Lebrija catching. It was a 40-yard hookup. Halftime had yet to arrive. Our defense was showcased the rest of the way. 
Jergenson tried only seven passes and completed two. He was intercepted once. Decker was handed the football 19 times. Boese of the Lakers rumbled for 160 yards on 24 carries of the pigskin. 
Boy, things are not going well in volleyball so far. That's disappointing. Thursday saw the orange and black get outdone by Sauk Centre, at home. It was an 0-3 night. Maddy Grove came at the Streeters with five kills, three aces. Camryn Ostby and Kaylee Harstad had their moments at the net. Brienna Dybdahl was a factor with her eleven assists and eleven digs. Whitney Bruns came through with eleven assists and six digs. 
Girls cross country does not even have a complete team.
Again, I cannot give big enough kudos to the kmrs-kkok website for its sports updates and reporting. It looks like we'll all be really relying on it. If you can find a minute here and there to read my blog posts, I'd appreciate it. I try to follow these activities with enthusiasm. 
The radio station site has a photo that looks like it was taken at the Howard Lake game. Did someone from the station make the trip? If so, kudos again. If it's some other system, that's good too. I might suggest that such photos have a caption. In the "old days" when I was with the Morris paper, if I submitted a photo like this with no intention of writing a caption, I'd get yelled at, demeaned and insulted. And if I wasn't yelled at for this, it would be for something else. 
The Morris newspaper did not benefit from me leaving, despite whatever propaganda the Forum sought to put out after that. What is Sue Dieter doing now? Seems she's having trouble controlling her weight. Tom Larson used to talk with pride about how he once covered the Duluth "Dukes" baseball team. Well Tom, to that all I can say is: "you really strike me as a minor league kind of guy." 
Me? My original song about Rocky Colavito was played for the unveiling of a statue of "the Rock" in Cleveland recently. That's pretty big league.
Nit-picking note to the radio station: It's "Winsted" not "Winstead." 
 
My podcast for September 3
I invite you to visit my podcast where today I consider Texas. It's in the news with the big new abortion law there. Texas is often not a straight shooter, as evidenced with the story of the Alamo. You may click on this permalink for my "Morris Mojo" podcast, and thanks.
  
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment