"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Girls take command in win over Ortonville

The Tigers surged big to lead 37-18 at halftime of the Tuesday road game. The site was Ortonville. Ortonville is home of the Trojans. The Tigers finished their work in the second half to come away with a 64-42 win. It was our fifth triumph of the season, eight losses. Ortonville is having a struggling campaign. 
Maddy Grove supplied lots of fuel Tuesday with her 20 points. A trio of Tigers scored eight each: Meredith Carrington, Sydney Dietz and Shannon Dougherty. Grove complemented her team-best point total with four rebounds an four assists. Dougherty snared eight rebounds. 
Kaylee Harstad added seven points to the mix. She also contributed five rebounds and four steals. Cate Kehoe put in six points, plus she had six rebounds. 
My "Morris of Course" blog has extensive updates on other Tuesday action involving our prep athletes. So with the permalink below, you may read about the MAHACA wrestling team, MBA girls and boys hockey and MACA boys basketball. Thank you so much and God bless. The year 2022 is my 50th anniversary of writing about Tiger sports for the media.
  
In invite you to compare my coverage to what you see on the Morris newspaper website. 
I believe the local commercial news media have not yet acknowledged the death of Jim Carlson. He died unexpectedly on Christmas Eve in Florida. I have kept watch to see how the media handles this, or didn't handle it. 
The coverage did not have to be with a standard "obituary." Carlson was a public figure when he lived here, and established the famous UMM Jazz Festival. It was truly famous. One of the biggest fans was Bob Bruininks who had a stint as U of M president. 
Once Carlson's death became known as absolute fact, someone in the local commercial media could have seen to it that a little "splash" be organized. It would be like a feature article. It could quote a few UMM jazz veterans. 
Our civic consciousness here has been eroding in recent years. This seems rather obvious but hardly anyone seems to care. The reaction to the end of Prairie Pioneer Days has been for the city and (alleged) Chamber of Commerce to get in a pissing match. As if that solves anything. But this is how things are going in our Morris. 
The U has allowed the Jazz Fest to wither away and die. It's just gone. Even if we accept this, certainly we could acknowledge the passing of someone like Jim Carlson with a little feature treatment in the local press. That is, if anyone really gives a rip. The Carlsons lived in Morris and supported the Morris public school. They belonged to a church here. They moved to the Villages in Florida for retirement. 
Back when I was with the Morris paper, if certain people thought I committed an oversight with something, they would tear into me, often with name-calling and foul language. Seems like kind of a Morris norm. 
I remember the controversy that centered on our Morris school system in the late 1980s. There was verbal venom and back-stabbing with consequences that I think are still felt today. If you are a newer resident of Morris, you can be thankful you weren't drawn into that. Our school appears to be in very good shape today, very stable. 
So let's remember the late Jim Carlson and all he did for Morris, which went well beyond jazz. I can memorialize him, but my online writing does not get the attention that the commercial media still does.
A recent photo of Jim Carlson, from The Villages FL
The weather
Climate change is marked by "extreme weather." It's not just "warming," it's all kinds of unexpected stuff. Conservative politicians used to like to poke fun at the climate change realists, whenever temperatures got cold for a time. "Warming?" 
Well, we needn't change our language about the phenomenon. It's "climate change" with "extreme weather." 
Donald Trump has been a big climate change denier, as he has called it a "hoax," and he could well be elected president again in 2024. We should be profoundly fearful about that. He should have been indicted for something by now. It is ridiculous because his voice is on tape with the Georgia secretary of state. Does tech actually make it harder to convict people? Legal authorities are just sitting on their hands about all of this. The weeks drag on. 
And soon the campaign in the mid-terms will begin. The Republicans are set for a complete takeover in the U.S. They are modifying voting systems to their liking. Meanwhile there is mass apathy among the U.S. population. So we see apathy at the national level as well as in our Morris MN. It is all profoundly sad. 
 
Bear with me some
The harshness of this winter has impeded yours truly some. There's a spot in front of the soils lab where drifts build up rapidly whenever there's a northwest wind. Recently during a spell of real inclement weather, the roads out and around looked open - I saw headlights - so I chanced a trip downtown to maybe get a frozen pizza. I hadn't eaten since breakfast. 
I didn't quite make it to the end of Northridge Drive. I had to race back to get a shovel. There is a happy ending as I eventually got out, but it was work, but worse than that I feared the embarrassment of being noticed there. Someone driving a 4-wheel drive pickup night notice me! I remember years ago when my old neighbor, the late Bert Ahern, got stuck in the same spot. So I'm in good company with this episode, with a UMM professor! 
In my haste while shoveling out, I shoveled without gloves on for a couple minutes, ended up with blisters on two fingers. It is healing properly but I do not feel 100 percent for typing yet. 
Problem No. 2: During another spell of the godawful weather, I walked to town 3-4 times over a weekend, as I had decided to put off clearing my driveway. Fine, I was comfortable enough, but I had my reading glasses in my jacket pocket. The extreme cold must have caused them to become brittle. They came apart when I was indoors. 
I bought a new pair but these don't function quite the same as the previous, so more adjusting is called for. I require maximum-strength reading glasses. My writing at this time is a little more labored, but I stick with it, and please bear with me. It's hard for me to get along without doing some writing.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment