"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Hoops and vibrant jazz music at school!

Weather became hostile again on Monday evening, but it was no impediment for enjoying school activities. The gym was full of enthusiasm for girls basketball. At the same time, music was showcased at the concert hall: jazz music. 
The wind was howling outside. We have alternated between wind and extreme cold, and sometimes get a cruel combination of the two. But the enrichment of the school activities served to counteract. In the gym the GBB Tigers played the Sauk Centre Streeters. The Tigers fell further below .500 with a 46-39 setback vs. the Streeters. Sauk has the No. 8 state ranking. MACA came out of the night at 6-12. Sauk's W/L: 13-5. 
Sydney Dietz led our scorers with the modest total of eleven points. Plus she grabbed six rebounds. Meredith Carrington put in nine points. Maddy Grove added seven points and six rebounds to the mix. The kmrs-kkok article noted we "hung tough." Surely we did, but often this isn't enough versus a highly-ranked foe. 
I personally attended the instrumental jazz concert at the concert hall. Excellent presentation naturally, lots of talent. I took a look over the program and noticed "Chase the Clouds Away." Brought back memories from when this was on a Chuck Mangione album in the 1970s. I had the vinyl album, was a fan of Mangione for a time. 
You remember Mangione? He put forward a hippie-type appearance and played the "flugelhorn." The instrument is an offshoot of the trumpet, has a more mellow, less penetrating sound. It's shaped a little different. But for a trumpet player, the adjustment is basically nil for playing. 
"Chase the Clouds Away" was before Mangione had his "run" in popular music. He had already been building a pretty good following with works like "Friends and Love." But he came to the forefront with his "Feels so Good." We heard this tune on top 40 radio a lot. I read that radio deejays latched onto it because they were tired of the Bee Gees and wanted something completely different. Surely the Mangione sound was a contrast. 
After the concert I did some quick research to see if "Chase the Clouds Away" was a Mangione original, or if he had recorded it as a "cover." Aha, it was an original. It even has lyrics, even though none were sung on the album. The song title was also the name of the album. I really loved the whole album. 
Concert-goers Monday at our school heard "Jazz II" play the "Chase the Clouds Away" song, arranged by Mike Lewis. Nice job of performing. "Jazz II" led off the concert. Director Wanda Dagen has a habit that reminds me of the National Guard: punctual, so much so, a concert might start a couple minutes ahead of scheduled start time. I guess the musicians were really "champing at the bit" to perform. 
So if you consider attending MAHS band concerts, maybe make sure you're in your seats five or ten minutes in advance. 
"Jazz II" was followed by "Tiger Jazz Band." They led off with "Bugle Call Rag." 
Then, bring on "Jazz I." This top-flight group gave us four numbers. "Brick House" capped the night in an exciting way. Ms. Dagen brought forward a "ringer" for this tune, Viktor Berberi, father of student Henry who is a keyboard master. 
Henry Berberi has performed with UMM musicians and I have heard him at the HFA. Dad Viktor strapped on the guitar. He has played guitar with the West Central All-Stars for the UMM Jazz Festival. The guitar would appear to be a staple for "Brick House," as the tune is funk style. It was recorded by the Commodores back in the Lionel Ritchie days. 
The arrangement needs guitar "and there must not be any high schoolers that can play guitar and are willing to sit in with the band," an audience member later explained to me. 
This tune along with all the others went over great on Monday night. All while the Tigers were playing Sauk Centre in the gym. 
I glanced in the gym on my way out. I was impressed by the state of the art scoreboard. Where will all this advancement end? Look at what is done with YouTube, incredible. We could not have dreamt of so much of this when I was in high school. Most of my school years were spent when there were no varsity girls sports, and no school-sponsored hockey either. Or swimming or gymnastics. 
Such progress up to the present! I hope everyone appreciates it. 
One final note regarding band: We are immensely blessed having a person of the caliber of Ms. Dagen lead the program. 
Viktor Berberi
Viktor Berberi is assistant professor at UMM, director of the Hasselmo Language Teaching Center. He has expertise in "Italian Fascism." Might he have some insights into what the U.S. has been going through with Donald Trump and the Republican Party of today? 
I say "of today" because the current Republicans generally speaking do not reflect the kind of tenor I recall from most of my life. For most of my life, Republicans and Democrats were all pretty reasonable and well-intentioned, operating within the framework of being proud U.S.. citizens. I'd like to see that come back. 
Our own new congresswoman Michelle Fischbach is unfortunately in the fold of the new dangerous types. They want to seize power and keep it, to crush the opposition and make the opposition merely a token political party. Such systems exist around the world. The USA has until recently been a proud exception to the dysfunction and corruption, the "sham elections" etc. 
I can only pray that the worm will turn. We should all pray. 
The media continues having a field day with the revelations of all the absurdities of what Trump did, slowly being unearthed by the January 6 committee as it faces threats of imprisonment from Newt Gingrich. Isn't a "newt" a type of reptile or amphibian? We can laugh about some of this stuff up to a point. 
The revelations roll forward and "nothing happens." What is Merrick Garland thinking? We just don't know, and that's the scary part. Maybe he's concerned that if certain high-profile people are indicted, the Republicans could re-gain power in the mid-terms and then go on a tear with vengeance - who knows where that would stop? 
Anyway, I'm sure Professor Berberi does very important work on behalf of the U of M. I'm also sure he took total delight in strapping on his guitar for the Monday performance! Probably a relief from some of the sobering subject matter he deals with as a prof. Do you all remember how Mussolini ended up? I won't explain it to you. Thanks for sharing your guitar talent Monday, Professor Berberi. I described your son in a recent email as "ridiculously talented." 
I see where Tammy Berberi is on UMM faculty, in French. Family contributes a lot to Morris, n'est-ce pas? 
UMM symphonic winds has a concert upcoming in March at the concert hall and not at UMM. Director Simon Tillier is reportedly concerned about people seated in a too-congested way at the HFA recital hall. Wow, this points to a sore point: the failure of the "Humanities Phase III" being realized. Maybe I shouldn't bring that up. 
I have wondered why the Morrison Performing Arts Center (also known as Edson) couldn't be used as a music discipline venue. Man, it sure was used back in UMM's early days. It was used for everything. I sent an email to Jim Morrison wondering about this. Then I arrived on a theory: Edson/Morrison is located too far away from parking lots. Would make it challenging for elderly concert-goers? Was this an issue in UMM's long-ago time? 
Well, things were different then. No scoreboards like what we see at MAHS now! I attended basketball games at the old "P.E. Annex." Our overall population was younger, more vigorous in the '60s. Buildings and events were not set up to accommodate people who were challenged in their movements.  Just look at my church of First Lutheran in Morris. My goodness! Steps and stairs all over the place.
 
Tigers 68, Melrose 40
Girls basketball had a better outcome on Friday: a 68-40 win over the Dutchmen of Melrose. Meredith Carrington was in the groove with her offense: 26 points. The kmrs-kkok article noted the Tigers "led wire-to-wire." So I'm sure Meredith's grandpa Tom was delighted. I'm sure he sat at the DeToy's counter Monday morning with a spark in his eyes. He and I get there when it's dark out. 
Indeed the Tigers showed spark by forcing 27 turnovers in the win. Meredith complemented her point total with five rebounds and three steals. Maddy Grove got in the act with 18 points, five rebounds, four assists and three steals. MACA shot 52 percent. 
Sydney Dietz got on the list with her eight points, as did Cate Kehoe with six. Dietz grabbed seven rebounds. Melrose is struggling and came out of Friday at 3-14. Their Kaydence Bertram scored seven points.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com
 
"Chase the Clouds Away" by Chuck Mangione, lyrics
You must be the sun:
Only you can light my world with a smile.
And, while you're gone, the angels cry with me.
Even they agree:
Only you can chase the clouds away.
 
And, you are like a star:
Only you can make my one wish come true.
If only I could share my life with you,
I'd be in Heaven, too.
You were meant to chase the clouds away.
 
With you, the sun will always shine.
Life would be just fine.
With your love, my wildest dreams will come true.
Tomorrow's far away...
Tonight, my heart sure would like the chance to
ask your heart and soul if they would care to dance.
 
Then, you and I will ride the wind,
Turning on the moon as we pass him by.
And, long before the children question why
The sun's not in the sky,
You and I will chase the clouds away...
You and I will chase the clouds away...
You and I will chase the clouds away...away.

No comments:

Post a Comment