"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Time for holistic examination of spring sports

These are the times that try men's souls? I saw a track/field parent at DeToy's this morning and he informed me the day's scheduled meet was already called off. My thermometer was just below freezing when I awoke. High school sports has unfortunately been handicapped this spring. The weather has been so unpleasant. 
I figure our April has been like a "Missouri winter." I have told friends I'd really prefer being transferred back to January or February. We are way behind in getting a "real" spring. Is this because of climate change? I'd say yes, at risk of alienating the local conservatives and Republicans. It's too bad politics has become so "tribal." 
For the sake of self-preservation, if you are inclined to think like a Democrat, it is probably best to shut up. Your opponents have won. They "own" government in the Dakotas. Minnesota may be leaning that way too. The outstate portion is pretty well aligned with the Trump fanatics now, the evangelical Christians. Hope you all enjoyed Easter, you bastards. 
Maybe climate change will finally force the people in charge of high school sports to make permanent changes. I began suggesting this several years ago, actually, but my words find few eyeballs. I repeated my thoughts in the congratulatory email I sent to Mark Ekren. He is retiring and getting significant honors at the same time. I suggested to "Ek" that softball and baseball begin on May 1 and continue through the first week of August. 
Obviously there are logistical challenges there, as high schools would have to work with other organizations. School pretty well shuts down after the graduations. We already have American Legion baseball well-established. The schools could work something out with the Legion and maybe other organizations. Softball would be organized the same way. 
I told Ekren there would probably be roster turnover with this system. To that I added "so what?" 
Is it necessary to have such an extended post-season? Why can't teams just play for a district or league title? I wondered after this past winter sports season if this idea would fly: just play for the section and conference titles, leave it at that. 
One problem with the current system, as Morris and C-A realized so vividly, is that when you get to the climax of the tournament, you have outstate kids from their white bread communities going down to the Cities and getting exposed to different cultural elements. Hell, I do not see why this would be a problem. But that's just me. We learned it is a problem. It might be one of those "teachable moments" but the extent of friction and embarrassment became just too great. 
It might have been best for MACA not to make the state boys tournament. Or, as per my recommendation, let's not have a state tournament. A section trophy is a mighty fine accomplishment. 
But what about spring sports? I have raised the question of whether the MACA softball team has access to Big Cat Stadium. (Initially I wrote "UMM's" Big Cat Stadium and then I struck that.) 
Even though Big Cat feels like part of the UMM campus, it is 50-50 between the college and high school. The other day when checking the public school calendar, I noticed a softball game announced for "U of M-Morris." So, the plan must have been to employ the wonderful facility of Big Cat? Even though the stadium accommodates softball well when conditions aren't great, the conditions were just too bad for softball that day. 
Winter sports is nothing like this. The schedule is permanent. I am distressed by how tentative the spring schedule has to be. There has to be a better way. Repeatedly I have floated this thought - fat chance it gets heeded in the right places. 
We can continue speaking out, just like Trump supporters keep speaking out about how the 2020 election was "stolen" from him. These are the people who I am forced to mix with each and every day. They are becoming more than just a nuisance.
On the question of the Tigers having access to Big Cat Stadium, I actually communicated with an informed "insider" at UMM. So don't accuse me of not asking questions in the right places. I greatly appreciate this person's response to my query. Here is the response (sent on April 20):
 
Glad you saw the Cougar softball getting creative to compete at Big Cat Stadium. It is far from perfect, but it allows the games to be played. The college athletic spring calendar can be a challenge with our weather, especially since the season concludes in early May. The High school continues to be an equal partner at Big Cat, so they also can play there. However the Tigers team can compete into early June, so they have some additional flexibility to compete and reschedule games. They have not played on the turf, but it is always an option!
 
So, UMM has greater urgency in getting its games in? That's the explanation. Fine, I appreciate the background, but I wonder if your average high school athletic director feels pretty great urgency now too. 
Another argument can be made: Big Cat is such a "cool," beautiful place for softball to be played. The high school should have access for that reason alone. 
I think it is getting too late in the spring to really "right the ship" for high school sports. So this is a clarion call for getting something done to remedy the situation. From my email to Mark Ekren (April 6):
 
Hi Mark - Well you're a newsmaker this week. Congrats on the honors and your career.
I have big picture windows out here on Northridge Drive so I can see the weather's havoc right now: snow, wind, cold. And here the spring sports were supposed to be underway. Looks like bad weather continuing into tomorrow. I have had this idea for a long time that kids could play a one-month indoor intramural season before starting the regular spring season: sports like volleyball. No one listens to me of course. Baseball and softball could start on May 1 and continue through first week of August, with high schools working with American Legion and maybe other organizations. Would be some roster turnover but so what?
 
Static weather, alas
I'm writing this post on Tuesday morning when the weather is again gray and very cold. Climate change. It's a fact, and surely I cannot do anything about it. I cannot compete with all the evangelical Christians and their support for Trump, who has proclaimed that climate change is a "hoax." Forgive them, Lord, for they know not what they do.
I am concerned about future generations.
 
A heads-up
Friends, Sunday was the fourth anniversary of the passing of my mother Martha. After breakfast, instead of going to church - I attend a "liberal" church - I went home and wrote a blog post reflecting on Mom, the trials of her final years in particular, the sense of family those trials hardened. 
I invite you to read my commemorative post which is on my companion blog "Morris of Course." Oh, look at the top photo that shows Mom crossing the UMM campus, making her reliable rounds for the campus post office. She was manager. Here's the permalink:
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment