"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Over-the-top for new steak place?

I'm trying to maintain a habit of once a week going to library to check on the Morris newspaper. Immediately I wondered regarding the current issue: Is it too much of a "free ad" on page 1 for the new steak place? New businesses can be legitimate news for the local press. There ought to be some restraint though. It's not as if we didn't already have established businesses doing this. 
I confess I haven't had a steak meal at Old No. 1, but a check of their menu would seem to suggest it's pretty high-class. I rarely dine out in the evening. Usually it's just Friday, I guess as a way to mark the end of the week, even though that has no real meaning for me now. And about once a month I go to Stone's Throw. That's the other established business in Morris that caters to the steak crowd. 
Everyone knows prices are high there. You are paying extra for certain environmental issues to be served - I think that's the best way to put it. And I don't mind that, occasionally, but people do have their budgets. And we are continually advised about the specter of inflation. 
It is interesting that I have not noticed any real inflation shock yet. Will it come? What if Stone's Throw has to raise prices further? What effect will the new steak restaurant have on Stone's Throw and the Old No. 1? 
The newspaper's very generous treatment of the new steak restaurant is a turn-off for me. It was such a promo. I am wondering if the new place will be a hangout for the rich and successful people of our area. Could it exacerbate the sense of class divisions? I went to Don's Cafe this morning (Saturday) and was pleased to see quite brisk business there.
 
Please visit my podcast
I invite you to visit my "Morris Mojo" podcast! I'm pleased to post on this July 2 about various things that might be on our minds. Thanks so much if you take the trouble to listen to this episode, titled "Greetings on July 2."
 
Law enforcement questions
I see in the Morris newspaper that there's tension in city government. I will address that very succinctly: to the extent that City Manager Blaine Hill talks about economy with area law enforcement, I am certain that his comments are not in the vein of "defund the police." It would be ridiculous to think that. 
I have a grudge against police because I think they get carried away with the small stuff. My late mother was always scared when she saw a police car. 
On another topic: a friend emailed to say he'd  been walking his dog and happened by the softball complex. He was struck by "parking all over the place." We want more police so maybe if this is accomplished, they can start issuing tickets to people who continue to park on the north side of Prairie Lane. There have been signs there: "no parking this side." You have to laugh when you consider that. 
I knew from day 1 that parking would be a madhouse there, yet the community doesn't put much stock in my judgment. Had the authorities clamped down with rules right away, we maybe wouldn't be in this situation. If police can constantly enforce the seat belt requirement, they can do likewise with "no parking." Make the people pay. 
We will be mighty regretful if someone gets hurt out there because of the parking madhouse. Like a kid. 
There is a new playing field under construction at this softball "complex." Take a look. I have walked over to check where batters would face the pitchers, and I swear there will be a terrible situation for facing the sun. Weeds are growing in the outfield area. Will the sun prevent any evening games? The parking is bad enough now, what about when the new field finally gets going with games too? 
Will there be lights out there? I thought the funeral home had already provided funds for that. A long time ago, in fact. 
I noticed that lots of cars are parked around the water treatment plant sometimes. Two of the fields out there are simply of "sandlot" quality. I had thought all the fields would be sharper than that. 
 
How about a backyard pool?
Many of us gravitate to the water for a summer holiday weekend. Looks like we have a new holiday weekend with "Juneteenth." But now it's July 4 weekend. The lakes are a magnet for many of us. But is this kind of escape really necessary? 
What I mean is, would it be more fun and practical to have your own backyard pool? Listening to the radio one day last week, I was intrigued. From an email I sent to a friend:
 
I try to have Fargo radio on sometimes, but so often I just have to withdraw. For one thing, they get into sports discussions too often. I suppose it's easy to talk about sports. Like I've told you before, they get those moronic people "calling in" sometimes and I just can't take it.
But yesterday, VERY interesting. KFGO was interviewing someone with a home pool company. Obviously he wanted to sell his pools, but I was receptive to everything he said. Sometimes I see these circle-shaped pools in people's backyards and they look intriguing, just like being "on the lake." So the guy made two big arguments against "going to the lake": "It's hard enough to maintain one residence, let alone two." Amen. Also, "kids are so involved in organized activities in summer now, can you really get away to the lake much anyway?" With a pool at home, it's available any time you want to use it. 
I sometimes wonder about these people with lake places, because it must cost a lot.
 
One more thing
Esteemed long-time U.S. Senator Alan Simpson of Wyoming, age 90, has decided to cut through the fog about Donald Trump. This past week, Simpson called Trump a "spoiled brat." This inspires my current post on my companion blog "Morris of Course." Here's the permalink:
 
Happy Fourth
Well, enjoy what remains of the July 4 weekend. I'm just relaxing here at home on Northridge Drive. My zinnia flowers have not yet bloomed. I have some new grass coming up where I lost a couple evergreen trees in the hellish "derecho." How I learned to stop worrying and love climate change? (That's a takeoff on an old Cold War line.)
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment