"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

My goodness, Motown is in the news

(B.W. photo from Flickr)
Remember when the movie crew came to Mayberry? Such a thrill any time a town gets this kind of attention. I remember a character saying "don't look into the tomato can." That must have been the term for the camera. 
Sometimes it's a mixed blessing to be in the news on a statewide or even national basis. So yesterday (Monday) I did a double-take when receiving a link from a friend on the Sviggum thing. Oh, Steve Sviggum. I remember him, had not come across his name much in the recent past. He's a politico from the Republican side. More low-profile now, maybe, but in a position of real influence with the University of Minnesota. 
I have to admit, I did not know he was on the U Board of Regents. Not only that, he's vice chair. The regents are a place where former heavy-hitters in the political world have been known to "parachute." I'm thinking of Wendell Anderson and Dean Johnson. Both had skidded into some tough times in the political thicket. I do not wish to get into all that here. 
Whether Sviggum is in the "washed-up" category too, I'm not real certain. But he has views on race and ethnicity, it appears. The question is, do we take his comments at face value? If we do, then the man has to be in a world of hurt. He'll probably try to get out of this with one of those "what I really meant" explanations. Do we give him a pass on that? Like him or not, the man obviously has considerable power in the University. 
We of course have our U of M-Morris here in Mayberry, I mean Morris. And now there's concern about enrollment. Let's say the concern is bubbling up now. The topic has been bandied about among local advocates of the institution. So Sviggum thinks there's too much diversity on our campus. Not articulated in the most artful way. 
To give the guy a break, I know what he's getting at. It's not diversity itself, it's the conscious acknowledgment of all that diversity in a formal way within the institution, an example being a whole building called "multi-ethnic." BTW that was the music building when UMM first opened - concerts were at Edson Auditorium. UMM music was a wonderful experience in those seminal days, really did not need to be improved upon. Really truly. 
Surely I digress here. I communicated with two well-known Morris people, advocates of UMM, yesterday on the little controversy. Regarding the "diversity" question, here's what Blaine Hill our city manager said: "I know Steve Sviggum. Not a good question to be asking in this day and age. I've actually been involved with the University and I believe it is one of the strengths of the campus." 
Totally laudable thoughts, Blaine - hooray - but the elephant in the room may still be enrollment. If Sviggum failed to hit the nail on the head with his thoughts, the nail remains there. So easy to come across feel-good thoughts like Blaine's right now, and in this category would also be comments from our interim chancellor. She said "the right things" also in defense of the campus. 
I'm not sure this is the totally productive road to take right now. Diversity is great but maybe there is a second question. And this would be: why can't we acknowledge "diversity" by simply accepting our brethren as equal? This would be minus any formal measures. An example of a formal measure would be affirmative action. So if everyone could just be treated equally - and this would include gays - is that the path to real enlightenment? Hmmm. 
Maybe it's not that simple, but just maybe UMM has taken things too far? I think UMM went too far by wading so strong into the gay rights thing - change was coming in our society anyway. 
Others may certainly assert their opinions. 
I communicated with old friend Warrenn Anderson, he of the attorney's sharp eye. He really went full-bore with glass-half-full. He is to be lauded on these thoughts: "Who knows what the result will be here. Maybe metro diverse folks will see UMN as a beacon of light and come flocking to Morris increasing enrollment wildly (or not)." 
I don't think Blaine or Warrenn would mind me dropping their names here. So Warrenn is in the habit with the "UMN" reference. Not "UMM." I stick with the latter but I'm generally slow to adjust to change. 
I share further on the whole Sviggum flap on my "Morris of Course" companion blog. I wrote this post yesterday. I get off on some tangents in there too. Who, me? Here's the link:
 
Here's an email I shared with Warrenn: 

Janet Schrunk-Ericksen
Do you think Janet (Schrunk Ericksen) has been careful enough in responding? For sure her impulse would be to take umbrage, but this is delicate because of Sviggum's position. He speaks for a definite constituency. They will use indelicate language like this without inhibition. People like this have been picking up steam politically. There was a time when leaders in the media would push back, but that is steadily less true. Sviggum has sheer power relative to the U and it's nothing to shake a stick at.
I think I shared with you before about how political people like Backer and Westrom - heavens, especially Backer - would advocate for UMM only because it was in their district, and privately they would have reservations about UMM's mission. They would see UMM's mission as one of nurturing future Democratic voters. I think they'd come right out and say that. Backer was one of just eight representatives, all Republicans, to vote against a resolution condemning the Jan. 6 violence. So he wants a violent overthrow of the government. Well, people keep voting for him. So this is real, just as Sviggum's thoughts are real.
So Janet has to resist her normal impulses which would be to get in Sviggum's face. She in fact has to be deferential. I have wondered if the Crookston person has a "secret agenda" affecting the Morris campus. This would come from the very top of course. Joan Gabel worked in South Carolina, home of Lindsey Graham!!!
In the long run, we might have to forget about fighting for the liberal arts. I have always felt that a fundamental re-purposing of the Morris campus could well happen. Maybe be closed for a year?
- BW
Winter is coming! (B.W. photo from Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment