"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Sunday, June 11, 2023

A Stone's Throw from complete quiet now?

Am struck by the pervading air of peacefulness this morning, Sunday. Our educational institutions have had their graduations. That slows things down. Peacefulness has its benefits for our collective soul, yes. But we need to keep the wheels turning some here in Morris MN. Not known to be a magnet for excitement. 
Was going to dine at Stone's Throw Restaurant last night (Saturday). That's a nice thought to have, to patronize a restaurant that absolutely prioritizes the healthy quality of its food - environmental responsibility too. Everything good about it except one: we pay a higher price. Occasionally I do not mind paying the higher price at all. 
But remember, we're into mid-June in Morris MN. We're a college town but college is concluded for this academic year. Tumbleweed time? Unfortunate if that is true. Alas, the restaurant was dark and the door locked. The problem with this kind of experience is that the odds are reduced of me wanting to check there again. Wouldn't you say that's human nature? 
I sauntered over to Don's and got some fare that was common for me in my pre-surgery, pre-diabetes diagnosis days. In other words, I got a classic chocolate shake. Oh man, how I can salivate thinking of that. Generally speaking I'm very committed to eating right these days, really truly. Things on the whole are going well. Next week I'll get some multi-grain bread to have in the form of dry toast now and then. 
But last night was Saturday, hey - time to treat myself just a little. Remember, my first choice was Stone's Throw. I have sentiment about Don's and the weekend chocolate shake, grilled cheese sandwich too, no fries. I am human and so I broke down. We all die in the end, don't we? 
Well, I certainly will not make a habit of this. Maybe it was the last time? Never say never! 
It was a delight to see the waitress named "Thea" (TAY-ah) who is active in high school theater. I believe she was just a sophomore this past year. I wish I had been that mature when I was her age. I went to public school in an era when kids tended to "hate school" and to look forward to summer as a time to get lazy, fool around. We dreaded seeing the "back to school ads" on TV. 
The guys had to question if we should really get all that fired-up about committing ourselves to something constructive, i.e. to "work." We had to worry about whether we'd get forced into the Vietnam war, to kiss our asses goodbye before the age of 20. Kids and their parents today have no idea what that was like. Maybe they've read about it, understand it in the abstract. Back in '67 and '68, it was risky to even make known an anti-war opinion. Our own law enforcement considered Martin Luther King Jr. a subversive because of this. 
Today conservatives talk up the memory of MLK. It serves their interests. Tim Scott is such an Uncle Tom. His candidacy won't matter. Ditto with the various other curious personalities on the Republican side. As in 2016, this rogue's gallery is mainly interested in writing and selling books and making speaking appearances (for $). I didn't come into town on a turnip truck. 
A fellow who falls off a turnip truck would be surprised that an establishment like Stone's Throw is closed on Saturday night at 5:30, which was when I sauntered by. I had my ELCA Lutheran magazine clutched under my arm - sometimes you have to wait a while for your order - no problem. I have forgotten what it's like to be in a hurry. 
Of course I made my rounds for the Morris newspaper once. For nearly 30 years in fact. The Hancock paper too. I wrote sports for Hancock but also covered their high school graduation most years. I felt so absolutely invigorated when entering the gym for their graduation. I still remember the recorded song that was played as slides were shown of the various grads. A small enough number of grads to make this kind of individual attention possible. 
I had the same kind of feeling going to the Morris graduation each year. I'm sure there were years when I didn't even check in with Jim Morrison about how I'd be covering the MAHS graduation. It was assumed by all that I'd do it. 
My routine of those days came crashing to a halt in 2006. I was able to cover one graduation at the new MAHS gym. So I'm thankful for that. 
I remember being at the Hancock graduation that year. The Grunig twins were graduating, as I recall. I covered them in hockey. As I recall, one of the twins was receptive to football, the other no. I was amused by that. I was especially amused when coach Adam Steege (who I really enjoyed working with) described the non-football playing twin as a "pacifist." I grew up during Vietnam so I love pacifists. "Make love, not war." That was a current saying. Are kids familiar with it today? 
So we can forget about Tim Scott, Nikki Haley and the others in this bizarre time when we cannot let go of Donald Trump, no matter how dangerous he has become. A nation that could get inexplicably dragged through Vietnam can get dragged through our current state of affairs, I guess. We are so human an animal. 
I write more on the current Trump circumstances in my new "Morris of Course" post (my companion blog). I write again on the religious angle with Trump, as if anyone should think for a second that Trump is committed to Christianity. So many of you are just plain knaves. 
My post yesterday was inspired by seeing some of the typical Apostolic Christians file into DeToy's Restaurant in the morning. My concern is that these otherwise very gentle people just do not engage in critical thinking about the Republicans and Trump. You may read my post:
 
The grackle bird
Addendum:
My residence on Northridge Drive has big picture windows facing the north. This morning I am absolutely charmed to see a "little grackle" hopping around behind its parent. The parent delivers bits of food to the little one. I remember my father loved this sight. The miracle of nature. 
You know "grackles" - they might be called "blackbirds." Seems like no one has romantic feelings about them. But my father did. He was impressed each March seeing them show up again in large groups, assembling on our lawn. Spring nearing! 
I have just finished the first draft of today's post and now I'm headed to church, First Lutheran. We are a church that is trying to "hang on" in the Trump era when so much of Christianity bows down to Trump. I put the Apostolics in that category, unfortunately. I'm actually starting to get upset about it. Maybe these people aren't so gentle after all. 
My church of First Lutheran of the ELCA is definitely not devoted to Trump. The opposite if anything. I think history will vindicate us. But how much suffering will we all have first? Germany in the 1940s?
My Lutheran magazine will be going online-only after this year.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment