"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, November 4, 2023

Night owls travel to see MACA defeated

DGF 35 Tigers 14
Why does our high school sports system permit such a late starting time as for the MACA Tigers' Friday game? 
Late starting times sometimes happen for post-season games. When you get into the post-season, especially after the first couple rounds, some of the fans have a pretty hefty travel burden. Many of these fans are so primed with emotions, they'd move mountains to get to a game. They might use questionable judgment in driving home at an unreasonably late hour. 
A friend of mine wondered if the MACA fans for the Friday night game were all going to stay over in hotels. Maybe they did, I wouldn't know. But there's extra cost involved in that of course. I assume many fans would simply assume they can drive home OK, whatever the hour. 
My concern is always this: people maybe getting drowsy at the wheel. Who wants to drive a long distance in pitch black darkness anyway? The people should be comfortably and safely in bed. But many of these people would do anything to get to a kids' game and watch it in full. 
Was there maybe a fan bus Friday night? I wouldn't know. I would have advised that strongly. Still, the start time was unreasonable. The announced start time was 8 o'clock. A friend advised me during the day that the time could easily get pushed later. And it appears that's what happened. I myself would have been in bed by the time the game started. I tend to retire early and then I get up in the middle of the night for a couple hours, open my laptop, contemplate a little. 
I learned this morning (Saturday) that things did not go well for the Tigers at the Fargodome. The Tigers were matched against a team with a long string of Section 8AAA success. That team was the Rebels: Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton. So the Rebels have entered the 3A state playoffs again, fresh from their 35-14 win over the Tigers. They garnered their fourth straight section championship. 
Their coach Anthony Soderberg submitted quotes after the game that were totally boilerplate! I don't know why the Forum writer even bothers typing and sharing quotes like these. The writer could get right to the stats. Actually I cannot find a stat summary per se on this Saturday morning. I wish the coaches would submit info on the "Minnesota Football Hub" site. MACA stats have been there occasionally in the past, I stress occasionally. 
"It's all the kids," ol' Soderberg said. Oh really. "They showed what they can do and they got the job done." Yeah, and you gotta take 'em one at a time. 
I'm afraid there was no suspense in this game. MACA fans had to endure a steady pattern of "mo" for the Rebels at the expense of our Tigers. We were down 21-8 at halftime. Brody Friend scored twice with the ground game in the first half for DGF. His teammate Caleb Johnson had a rushing TD of 23 yards. 
I'm afraid the players who were quoted by the Forum were generic in their comments just like the coach. "I'm excited to make a run in the state tournament." Another sample: "To win this for the last three years is really special." Really? 
DGF polished things off with a pair of second half scores, both by Bodey DeVries. First DeVries scored on a 27-yard pass from Caleb Johnson. Then he dove a yard into the end zone. The Rebels had a drive that ate up time in the fourth quarter. Must have been an ordeal for the MACA fans to watch. And the very long drive home awaited them. 
The Forum writer quoted DeVries saying he hoped "the Rebels can make a run similar to last year." 
Well. . . 
MACA fans could greatly enjoy our two touchdowns which were by the passing route. The thrower was Drew Huebner. Jackson Hallman was determined as he made a bobbling type of catch. He had to focus on staying in bounds. His focus was rewarded with a signal of "touchdown." Huebner completed a 38-yard TD pass that had Riley Asmus on the catching end. 
The Rebels advance to play Albany which comes out of Section 6AAA. Interestingly the DGF vs. Albany game will not be indoors under a roof, even as we are advancing into colder weather (or the likelihood of such). So the DGF vs. Albany game will be at Alexandria, Friday, Nov. 10, 7 p.m. 
Oh no, coach Soderberg is quoted saying he expects a "smash mouth football game." I had thought that expression was on the back-burner now because of all the efforts to try to ensure that football is safer. I remember when Jerry Witt used the expression. We do not want players "smashing" into each other. School activities should protect the basic safety of the kids, n'est-ce pas? You don't disagree with me, do you? 
Speaking of safety, I sure hope the fans who drove so late at night, or past midnight into early morning, were able to endure the drive with comfort and safety. I was just fine in bed! 
And what might our kmrs-kkok website be reporting to us about last night's game? Just as I expected the radio station site is falling into a pattern of just reporting "scores." So I see the score, that's all. I guess Brett Miller is no longer at the station. 
The final MACA won-lost is 7-4.
 
Volleyball ends season
Our MACA Tigers of the volleyball court were defeated by sub-section top seed Paynesville. I write about this match on my companion site "Morris of Course." You may click to read:
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment