"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Al Michaels' gambling reference a faux pas

Al Michaels
NBC hyped the Sunday night Vikings game by focusing on Brett Favre. No amount of hype can really package a pre-season NFL game effectively. Most of the people who tune in to pre-season games are just starved for football. That circle includes me.
Pre-season games give us a frame of reference. Until Sunday night, though, I never realized that these games attract a fair amount of gambling interest. This revelation came at the very end of the Vikings' contest at San Francisco. I was watching live, which indicates just how football-starved I am (that I would watch this yawner to the end).
By the usual standard there was nothing dramatic about the ending. When I say "usual standard," I'm talking about how the typical fan watches - the healthy, proper perspective. There is another perspective in the shadows though. It's the way gamblers watch these things. And I listened in disbelief as the game's broadcast voices, Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth, acknowledged that perspective, boisterously in fact. Michaels got it started so he's the one with explaining to do.
Let's sketch out the background: The 49ers led by three points with nine seconds left. But if you had bet on the Minnesota Vikings, you were feeling good because the game's "pointspread" was 3.5 with the 49ers favored. Thus if the game ended with the score 13-10, the Vikes' bettors could collect.
But on the game's final play, rookie quarterback Joe Webb dropped back to pass but couldn't get the ball away. He also couldn't get out of the end zone. Safety. Two more points for San Francisco.
Absolutely no big deal, right? That's what I was thinking. Not Al Michaels in the NBC broadcast booth, though.
I really don't think Michaels was going to say anything to give away the gambling angle. Instead he slipped and did something that reminded me of a scene in "Mutiny on the Bounty" (Marlon Brando).
Michaels laughed.
We all think laughter brings joy but sometimes you have to explain its meaning. Laughter can be denigrating, fun-poking or irreverent in an improper way. In the movie, a ship hand chuckles about something involving the ship's commander and he fails to explain himself adequately, and is punished harshly.
When Al Michaels delivered his burst of laughter, it seemed out of place because nothing on the screen seemed to prompt this. I was instantly curious.
Michaels probably realized that the laughing might be misunderstood, as being directed at the awkwardness of a rookie quarterback (an African-American) getting sacked in the end zone. So he had to give an explanation even if he would fare no better than that ship hand in the movie.
By disclosing gambling interests, I think Michaels ran the risk of getting in trouble with the powers that be. Michaels was in the booth with Cris Collinsworth, the old Cincinnatti receiver. They are both proven announcers but even their talent was a stretch for selling a game in which Favre played just one series of downs.
Immediately after the game-ending safety, Michaels laughed and then said to his broadcasting compatriot: "You know why I'm laughing, don't you?"
(Well, I didn't, and I apologize for seeming like a prude. - BW)
Collinsworth: "Yeah."
Michaels: "Of course you do, Collinsworth. There are some people happy and some not so happy."
Seriously, this is very uncool. The NFL wants a firm line drawn between the sport and the people who gamble on it.
And I should add that I'm really not a prude. I used to put down sports bets in Las Vegas during my occasional jaunts there. I prided myself on my gambling approach. Rather than having to sweat and think at the blackjack tables, or manage piles of chips in other games, I placed a few well-thought-out sports bets and would then spend time poolside or in the cocktail lounge. Several hours later I would check back.
Everyone has their own approach.
So while I place no taboo on sports gambling, I feel strongly that this is a world apart from the real games. And no one would agree more wholeheartedly with me on this than Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, or his counterparts in other sports.
How big a deal is this? It's so big that baseball found it appropriate to clamp down on Pete Rose in such a way that the game's all-time hit leader would never get in the Hall of Fame.
Anyone with some experience in sports gambling understands that punishment completely. Why? Because once you place money on a game, you view that game from a completely different perspective from those who just want to enjoy the game. One of my companions to Las Vegas (an old high school classmate) once said "have you noticed that when you bet on a (baseball) game, it feels like your life savings are riding on every pitch?"
Sports gamblers know this all too well. Some popular advice is that when you bet on a game, don't watch it! A safety at the very end can cause a complete reversal of fortunes.
Fans who watch games for the "right" reasons can resent the intrusion of comments related to gambling. I don't blame them.
It has been years since I placed a sports bet, and I really don't care about that shadowy world of gambling anymore. So when Michaels felt he had to accent that angle at game's end Sunday, I was taken aback and resented it.
It took a couple of seconds for it to sink in. Because I just couldn't believe it.
I read the next day that "Al Michaels will usually reference the pointspread during telecasts."
But simply referencing the pointspread in a sober way isn't a cardinal sin, because the spread tells you something about how the teams compare.
But laughing and talking about how "some people are happy" crosses the line.
I wonder if Goodell contacted NBC executives in the wake of this. I suspect so. I even wondered if some harsh punishment could be meted out vs. Michaels. Collinsworth only got involved after Michaels dragged him into it.
Maybe there is a bigger question here: What kind of loser bets on NFL pre-season games?
-Brian Williams - morris mn Minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

7 comments:

  1. When we use the word ludus – latin for “play” – we realize that the idea is to instert much more than just game mechanics for processes that are not games.
    espresso casino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights throughout the post. It’s always good to read blogs that provide clear information. I also checked tigerx betting recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on this article. The information shared here is very useful. I also checked cbtfturbo and found the platform quite smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For years, I assumed that the weaknesses in my poker game were limited to a few obvious decisions that appeared only in major pots. I usually reviewed the hands that caused the strongest emotional reaction, such as an expensive bluff, a difficult river call, or a painful loss against an unexpected holding. Over time, I began to understand that this selective approach was misleading because the most damaging habits were often hidden inside ordinary situations that seemed too insignificant to remember. I needed a method that would allow me to examine complete sessions without depending on mood, memory, or the final financial result. This led me to explore poker hand database analysis on Baseanalise and begin working with a much larger collection of recorded hands. During the review process, I also paid more attention to poker hand probabilities, because understanding the mathematical side of different situations helped me better evaluate whether my decisions were based on realistic expectations or incorrect assumptions. Instead of reviewing everything in chronological order, I separated situations according to effective stack size, seat position, betting sequence, opponent profile, and the stage of the hand where the critical decision occurred. Once similar scenarios were placed next to one another, several tendencies became impossible to ignore. I noticed that I defended too loosely in certain positions, applied pressure inconsistently, and sometimes allowed the outcome of previous hands to affect decisions that should have been independent. The broader sample also helped me distinguish genuine strategic problems from normal variance, which prevented unnecessary changes after a few disappointing sessions. As this analytical routine became more consistent, my preparation gained a clearer purpose, my reactions during difficult games became more controlled, and I started making decisions based on repeated evidence rather than frustration, confidence, or isolated memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 휴대폰 저장 공간과 보안 설정을 정리하던 중 이전에 받아둔 APK 파일들이 여러 개 남아 있는 것을 발견했고, 그때부터 외부 앱을 설치할 때마다 출처를 더 꼼꼼히 확인하게 되었다. 모바일 서비스 안내를 살펴볼 때도 단순히 다운로드 버튼이 보인다는 이유만으로 파일을 실행하지 않고, 먼저 주소창의 도메인과 암호화 연결 표시를 확인했다. 공식 모바일 페이지에서는 앱을 통해 경기 정보, 라이브 항목과 계정 기록을 확인할 수 있다는 내용이 제공되고 있었지만, 이런 기능 설명과 실제 설치 파일의 안전성은 별도로 판단해야 한다. 내가 참고한 페이지는 https://kr.1xbet.com/ko/mobile 이었고, 중간에 다른 창으로 이동하거나 알 수 없는 광고 페이지가 열리면 다운로드를 취소했다. 안드로이드에서는 기본적으로 외부 출처 앱의 설치를 제한하기 때문에 설정에서 권한을 변경해야 할 수 있다. 나는 휴대폰 전체에 영구적인 허용을 적용하지 않고, APK를 다운로드한 브라우저에만 잠시 권한을 부여한 뒤 설치가 끝나자마자 다시 비활성화했다. 설치 전에 파일을 보안 검사에 통과시키고, 앱이 카메라, 마이크, 위치나 연락처처럼 불필요해 보이는 접근을 요청하면 허용하지 않았다. 로그인 이후에는 저장된 결제 정보가 자동으로 노출되지 않는지 확인하고, 화면 잠금과 생체 인증을 설정해 다른 사람이 휴대폰을 사용할 때 계정에 바로 들어가지 못하도록 했다. 자동 로그인은 편리하지만 기기를 잃어버리면 위험할 수 있으므로 사용 환경에 따라 해제하는 편이 낫다. 앱 알림도 모두 허용하기보다 계정 보안이나 거래 확인처럼 필요한 항목만 남겼다. 서비스를 이용하려면 거주 지역의 법률과 최소 연령 요건을 직접 확인해야 하며, 앱을 설치할 수 있다는 사실이 이용 자격을 의미하지는 않는다. 금전 기능을 사용한다면 본인 명의의 수단만 연결하고, 손실을 만회하기 위해 계획보다 큰 금액을 추가하지 않아야 한다. 앱을 자주 확인하게 되거나 일상에 방해가 생기면 알림을 끄고 일정 기간 사용을 중단하는 것도 책임 있는 관리 방법이다.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some time ago, I started looking into different gaming platforms because I wanted to compare how they present their services and organize their features. I usually pay attention to the technical side of online platforms, including interface design, navigation speed, and the way information is structured. When I first accessed this service, I spent time reviewing the main sections and understanding how the platform was arranged. I checked different categories, explored the available menus, and tried to understand how easily users could move between different parts of the system. I think that a well-designed platform should make the learning process simple even for someone who is visiting it for the first time. During my exploration, I used https://1xfun888bet.com/en as a reference to better understand the available information and the organization of the gaming sections. After several sessions, I found that the platform had a straightforward structure and allowed me to become familiar with its features without unnecessary complexity. The experience showed me that usability plays an important role in modern online services. A clear interface, logical categories, and accessible information can make a significant difference in how users interact with a platform and discover its content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some time ago, I decided to explore the slot section of an online gaming platform because I wanted to understand how modern services organize different games and make navigation comfortable for users. I usually pay attention to the overall structure of a platform before spending more time with it, because a clear interface makes the experience much easier. I started by reviewing the main menu, checking available categories, and looking at how individual games were displayed. I was interested in whether the system allowed users to quickly understand the available options and move between different parts without unnecessary steps. During my research, I checked https://thai.1xbet.com/en/slots to learn more about the slot section and see how the games were organized within the platform. After several sessions, I noticed that the layout was quite logical and helped me explore different types of games more comfortably. The categories were arranged in a clear way, and the information provided about the games was easy to follow. I think that good organization is one of the key elements of any digital service because users should not spend too much time trying to understand how everything works. My experience with this platform showed me that a simple interface and well-structured content can make exploring online gaming services much more convenient and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete