"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, October 9, 2021

MACA football shines in 33-8 road triumph

There's good news about Tiger football but first I'll give a heads-up that I have coverage of the state-bound MACA/WCA tennis team on my companion blog, "Morris of Course." This post also includes updates on Tiger volleyball and cross country. Thanks for visiting. Here is the permalink. - BW
 
It's 8 a.m. Saturday morning and I had to consult the "Minnesota Scores" site to catch the score of last night's Tiger football game at Minnewaska. Thanks to "Minnesota Scores" for reporting that the orange and black won 33-8. 
Could not find anything about the game on the West Central Tribune site. That of course is the Willmar newspaper, long known for its area-wide reach. But it has been difficult this fall to get MACA highlights from its website. I no longer even look at their "dead tree" product. It was news when the paper eliminated its Monday edition, and after that the operation seemed to capsize with the announcement that it was going to twice-weekly in print. 
Add to that the fact that our public library was shut down for a long time due to the pandemic, and I have withdrawn from the habit of paying attention to any newspaper, really. 
Well, congrats to our MACA Tigers on the Friday success, 33-8 over those Lakers. I cannot find any kind of game report on the kmrs-kkok site yet, as of 8 a.m. Saturday. I hardly ever check the newspaper website because it has adopted the philosophy of being sort of a "teaser" site, rather than truly go-to for news and sports. And that's fine if it's free-access. 
I left the paper partly because I heard all this big talk about how dynamic our website was going to be. Or, as the late Willie Martin of Willie's Super Valu would say, "super dynamic." I went into Sue Dieter's office and pleaded: "Every day is going to be a press day." And I could not live with this additional layer of duties and pressure on me. 
Answering to area sports parents is a burden so huge sometimes, words cannot describe. It was a rat race that I could no longer countenance or live with, no matter the consequences. And, some of these people really were "rats," maybe even inside the Morris newspaper, pre-Anfinsons. I am only talking about management. 
I do have a suggestion for the Anfinsons: I see they are experimenting with an E-Newsletter to supplement their usual stuff. Which gets me to thinking: why not try to supplant the Chamber of Commerce's "Friday Facts?" I'm not sure the Chamber is much interested in continuing this anyway, since the Chamber seems less than enthusiastic about nearly everything now. Simply put, the paper could take over "Friday Facts" and get some revenue from it. 
The paper always has "content" to put out there. This is its raison d'etre (especially when yours truly was there). Remember that it's spelled "raison" and not "raisin"
You know what I find discouraging now? How our local commercial media - newspaper and radio - packs their websites with UMM sports news as "sports news," when in fact UMM is already well covered on its own website. Has the thought occurred to you that this is strange? 
Tiger volleyball is striking out when it comes to media relations now. 
What will happen with winter? A secondary question: Is the mask requirement going to come back everywhere this winter? It could be "Katy bar the door" for covid flare-ups once the colder and drier air takes over. Are you ready? We haven't done as well with vaccinations as we might, mainly because we have so many ignoramus elected officials who are Republicans out here in "red state America," a state of affairs that has caused people to die, including some of our local friends and neighbors. 
You people are such rubes if you buy into all this Fox News/conservative media stuff. It has taken over AM radio because the more educated listeners have moved on to satellite radio. But you don't need an "education" to have common sense. I'd be the first to accent that thought. You guys with the Trump profiles on the side of your pickups: go sit under a cow. 
I forget my mask for the UMM Homecoming music concert and had to depart - unfortunately since my father's "UMM Hymn" composition was performed. Well I'm not really sad, I'm totally happy to see the tune find some new life. Dad was originally directed to write it as a way of creating a sense of identity for the campus, in the fragile early days when we had existential issues, yes indeed. 
I thanked the UMM choir director in an email. She's Laura Wiebe. I cannot find a photo of her online. 
Regarding my oversight with the mask, I'm sure Dad looked down from heaven and said "I knew you'd screw things up somehow."
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment