"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shall we have consensus on our lake names?

The sign says Welcome to Pomme de Terre Lake but on official maps it's Perkins Lake. Is either name really the predominant one? And the lake south of Alberta that I came to know as Frog Lake is identified on maps as Gorder Lake.

I remember as a kid fishing for bullheads in Pomme de Terre Lake. In my recent post about signs, I mentioned how the Pomme de Terre lake chain might be "an underappreciated asset" of the Morris area.
Maybe there's a name issue.
Number one, we can't be sure that Pomme de Terre Lake is in fact the official name.
Take a look at the big framed Stevens County map at our public library (just inside the entrance). It seems all official county maps tell the same story: It's Perkins Lake, not Pomme de Terre.
I brought this matter to the attention of our Stevens County Historical Society once. I'm not sure any follow-up research was done.
Is it asking too much that there be a consensus on the lake name? This isn't just some obscure slough, it's a lake good enough for recreational purposes.
You'll see boats pulling around large innertubes with shrieking kids on them.
I presume those bullheads are still around.
I became aware of the name issue through my years in the corporate media. I'd hear offhand references to "Perkins Lake." I learned that the Perkins name had a history out there.
Perkins Resort was once a very popular escape place, especially for the area's youth. There was a pavilion and roller skating.
I know for a fact some married couples first met there. I also know these lakes were once more inviting for swimming than they now are. They were cleaner.
I remember seeing swimming lessons out there. I didn't actually take them. Once I learned how to stay buoyant in water, that was good enough for me (along with "dog paddling" proficiency).
It's fine that the Perkins name seems synonymous with the lake, but should we take the jump of assuming the lake should be called that?
Someone at some time made sure our county maps would say "Perkins Lake."
It's a nice name, rolls off the tongue etc., but when you arrive at the public access there, you'll see a sign saying "welcome to Pomme de Terre Lake."
I'm biased toward this name because it's what I learned when I was young. In my mind it will always be Pomme de Terre Lake.
Perhaps the bottom line here is just that I'm suggesting there be consensus.
One argument for Perkins: This name clearly separates this lake in people's minds from where Pomme de Terre City Park is.
Pomme de Terre City Park is on the east edge of our community, much more convenient for the public.
I'm sure when some people say "Pomme de Terre Lake," confusion arises. You have to clarify you're referring to the lake several miles to the north of Morris, and not where the city park is.
The city park is located on a "sort of" lake that is really a wide spot on the Pomme de Terre River. I learned this lake has its own name. I saw it on a map when I was writing about the bike trail system. It's "Lake Crissy."
Nice name but it hasn't seemed to have gained widespread acceptance. I don't think I've ever heard this name in a casual conversation. People just refer to the park.
It was quite the big deal when the "earthen pool" opened at the park. My, it was a celebrated occasion when it opened and became a magnet for funseekers. There were lifeguards and a concession stand there.
The lifeguards could be a pain. They would get "breaks" that would require everyone out of the water. There were nitpicking rules like "staying off the dike." I couldn't imagine any real danger so it must have been one of those liability things.
Over time the "Pomme de Terre beach" (at the park) lost its popularity. I remember that only a real sizzling summer day, temperature over 90, could ensure people flocking there to any degree.
Finally the pool died. Maybe it was too expensive to maintain. Many people have fond memories from when the earthen pool was in its heyday.
Pomme de Terre City Park continues to have a successful campground. The noise from irrigation equipment can be an issue. I remember as a kid playing "capture the flag" with the Boy Scouts after dark out there.
The scoutmaster was Sandy Munson, a rustic sort of character. (Sandy taught me the term "swampwater" for a glass of pop that was a mixture of whatever varieties were available from the taps.)
The picnic shelters seem to be well used.
There's also a shelter out at the Pomme de Terre Lake access, along with a swing set and a little "horsie" for toddlers to have fun on.
"Middle" Pomme de Terre Lake seems more like an extension of the main lake, not deserving of its own name.
Our local golf course also has the Pomme de Terre name.
Maybe for clarity, we all ought to adopt the "Perkins Lake" name.
But this isn't the only lake in Stevens County with name issues. Sheesh, there's a lake south of Alberta, a tremendous wildlife haven, that has a different official name from the one I grew up with.
I grew up with "Frog Lake." Our family hunted ducks out there. I remember the bluebills roaring overhead late in duck season, sounding like a jet plane.
"Frog Lake" on official county maps is called "Gorder Lake."
So, which is it? Will the time come for everyone to just get on the same page? Apparently in Stevens County, an air of mystery is supposed to accompany our lake names.
Terms for things should be precise, like "Obamneycare" (LOL).
Minneapolis has its own problems with a prominent lake named for a pro-slavery politician. But we're learning that shelving the name Lake Calhoun is no routine matter and might be impossible. There were headlines about this Tuesday.
But it can't be impossible to re-name a lake. Perhaps there's buck-passing going on here. (What? Among politicians?)
We are blessed in Stevens County having our share of lakes and sloughs. I know of some sloughs that seem big enough to be called lakes. Where is the line drawn? Are there scientific criteria or is it just a horse-sense type of thing? I do trust horses.
And while we're seeking precision with names, how about a name for the island on Lake Crystal, west Morris? To my knowledge it lacks one.
A friend suggested "Skull Island." I didn't ask on what basis that name was coined. Must be inspired by pirate movies.
- Brian Williams - morris mn Minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment