"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bouquets (of thoughts) since Dad's passing

Ralph E. Williams
We are happy and humble, my mother and I, to have received so many (!) messages of sympathy and gratitude in the wake of my father Ralph's death. I am sharing some samples here that I think are worthy of public notice, with names of senders withheld. God bless you all.
I'll repeat what was written on a card with some flowers sent to the funeral by Sarlettes Music: "May the music be with you!"
  
"I know Ralph will be missed, but look at what a legacy he leaves with his music - it will last forever! Not many people can claim that. He had a long, full life, and I wonder if he's been silently composing more great works these last few years."
 
 "I'm so sorry about Ralph's death. I know things were becoming more difficult for him, but it's hard for those left behind. I really enjoyed the UMM choir concerts Ralph directed and also the impromptu sing-alongs he'd lead us in at the senior (community) center."
  
"We were so fortunate to get to know all of you through our Heart to Heart support group. Was so much fun at the Christmas parties when Ralph would lead us in Christmas carols. He led a long life and accomplished so many things."
  
"I want to express my sympathy to you, and my gratitude for the mentoring (by) Ralph Williams. He was my advocate at the St. Paul campus and at UMM, both in academics and in music. I appreciate the influence he has had on my life."
  
"Be at peace that Ralph is in God's hands and probably happily directing a choir in heaven. I will always remember Ralph as 'the music man of Stevens County,' just like that exhibit we built about him a few years ago at the museum. God bless."
  
"We have so many special memories of Ralph when we worked at UMM. Ralph joined us at Louie's Lower Level many times during coffee break/birthday treats and celebrations. His gifts to UMM were outstanding and will always be remembered. Our sincere sympathy, but what a joy to celebrate 96 years of life."
  
"You can be very proud of his accomplishments as a U.S. Navy man and music man at UMM. He was important at making the college what it is today."
  
"I was always glad when we sang the UMM Hymn because it brought the community of the campus closer in its aspiration toward 'the Northern Star.' "
  
"It's sad to have Ralph gone. Even though it was inevitable, it is always difficult to lose someone so special - the end of an era. Such a long, full life must leave so many memories. Our fond memories of Ralph go back to the '60s. He was a very special person."
  
"I have such precious vivid memories of your dad. I came to UMM in 1975, a shy, timid freshman. Your dad saw me in the hall outside the music office with my bass clarinet in hand, and asked me to join the orchestra. I told him I was going to join the band and didn't believe I could handle being in both groups. He said 'Of course you can!' And so I did. He told me I could read the baritone part or transpose from other keys since there wasn't a bass clarinet part for the orchestra. I told him 'I can't transpose music.' He said 'Of course you can!' And so I did. With his encouragement, I became a music major and enjoyed working directly with your dad in the music library as his teaching assistant. I was sad to see him retire when I was still a student."
  
"What a pillar in our community and at UMM! He will be missed."
  
"My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have so many fond memories."
  
"What an accomplished man. He has blessed you with his legacy. May all your memories sustain you during this difficult time."
  
"A long, good and productive life. I sent $10 for two Bibles given to Gideons International Ministries."
  
"He was a very kind and special person! I can still hear his fun laugh."
  
"The obituary said he died suddenly - so comforting to know he didn't suffer. Ralph lived a very full life with lots of accomplishments and experiences. He was so lucky to be able to spend his late years in the comfort of his home and with his beloved family and 'pup.' "
  
"He's with the Lord. He was very well liked by everyone."
  
"Ralph was a kind, gentle man with a smile. I'm proud to say I accompanied his men's choir back in the early '70s, and he will be missed by many!"
  
"I was fortunate to sing in men's chorus under Ralph my junior and senior years at UMM, 1966-68. It has also been a privilege being a fellow member of the UMM Retirees Association these past few years."
  
"What a wonderful long life filled with so many accomplishments! Just this summer our church choir sang one of his anthems conducted by Jenny Tanner Seaton (Jim and Pat's daughter and a UMM graduate). I told the choir a little about Ralph and all that he had done in developing a music program at Morris."
  
"Ralph was a remarkable person and a major influence on UMM. I remember the days of the traveling men's choirs. I was also in his orchestra for a while in my college days a long, long time ago!"
  
"I know he loved Jesus and is enjoying the heavenly choirs. Life here is so short but we will all be together for eternity. May the Holy spirit comfort you."
  
"We will remember Ralph for his musical talents and all he gave to the University and the community."
  
"Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Ralph is a big reason UMM is here. His music will live on and continue to bring joy to many."
  
"We are sorry to hear of Ralph's passing. He was a true gentleman, kind, and a great inspiration to students at UMM."
  
"Ralph was a great man. Our family will remember him often."
  
"Ralph was a great guy and left a legacy of music for all to remember. He was very friendly and will be remembered by many. We are giving money for 'Missionary for a Day' in his memory."

No comments:

Post a Comment