"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Monday, September 12, 2022

Cougars play entertaining football in loss

Hamline 34, Cougars 21
A goal line stand lifted enthusiasm among Cougar backers early in the Saturday football action. It was the second game of the young campaign. The UMM defense made a statement on Hamline's first possession. The Pipers began a drive at their own 37. Things were clicking for the Pipers. They were looking at a first-and-goal from the UMM two yard line. Fans might have held breath as the ball was snapped with the Pipers having fourth down at the one. The Cougars held! 
It was an up note on a day when unfortunately the final score would not smile on the Cougars.  Truly it was an entertaining game though. The place is called Norton Field on the Hamline University campus, St. Paul. The Cougars were on the short end in the 34-21 final. It was a non-conference affair. 
The goal line stand was satisfying but it would mean our offense would take over in lousy field position. We escaped that state of affairs thanks to a big 29-yard pass completion: Marcus Reeb to Dylan Naughton. The possession would end on an interception. 
The Pipers seized that turnover to march en route for six. They needed just two plays to cover 55 yards. The score was on a 28-yard aerial: Alejandro Villanueva to Ryder Hutton. 
The Cougars stayed even with the Pipers with a scoring drive of their own. They leaned on the running game. But it was a pass that netted the six: 15 yards to Naughton. Alex Happ kicked the point-after so we're all even, 7-all. The first quarter ended. 
Then it was the Cougars going up on the scoreboard. Cole Mitchell clutched the ball on a reception. This advanced the ball 22 yards. Several plays later, Reeb passed to Ethan Tang, 12 yards to get the "touchdown" signal. Hamline struck back with a drive that required 16 plays. Villanueva carried the ball in from the five. 
The Hamline defense proceeded to stuff the Cougars so there was enough time left before halftime for Hamline's offense to accomplish some more. And accomplish they did. Villanueva connected with Charlie Wilson to make the score 20-14. No extra point this time. 
Hamline was first to score in the second half. Wilson turned on the jets with a 56-yard run up the middle. It was a scoring play that gave Hamline breathing room on the scoreboard. Now it's 27-14. UMM's Reeb put on a show with a scramble that advanced the ball to the six. Alas, a fumble took the wind from UMM's sails. Turnovers will haunt! And another one happened shortly thereafter: an interception. 
And Hamline seized that turnover to widen the breathing room - they drove 59 yards. Villanueva crossed the end zone line. Hamline was in command, up 34-14. The Cougars had a possession that extended into the fourth quarter. There was a big pass completion from Reeb to Tang: 27 yards. It brought the ball to the one, and from there Cameron Whitney scored with a TD reception. So it's 34-21. 
Turnovers kept dogging the Cougars. There was a fumble. Our last possession had a fourth down failure, then Hamline could kneel the ball down to end it. 
No shortage of entertainment value in this game. Look at quarterback Reeb's numbers: 23 completions, 35 attempts, 247 yards and three touchdowns. The running game had Izayah Boss churning out 59 yards on 14 carries. And in receiving, Tang had eight catches for 133 yards. Our defensive leaders included Hunter Infanger and Alex Emmrich. Plus, Carter Maurice and Mondo Calderon each with a sack, and Caden McNabb who blocked a field goal.

Memories
I remember being with a party that traveled to Hamline for a Cougar game in 1981 (give or take a year). Dick Bluth drove the van. The party included Andy Johnson, son of the chancellor. Andy was involved with media duties as was yours truly. I represented the Morris Sun Tribune newspaper of course. 
We pulled in to the stadium and saw the sign "Norton Field." Someone in the party wondered if the field was named for "Norton" of "The Honeymooners" TV series, played by Art Carney. Then someone said "maybe he did the plumbing." I am assuming that UMM won the game. We were riding the crest of some pretty impressive times.
On the way home we stopped in a town along the Interstate and stepped into a hospitality place that served alcoholic drinks. So that's what we consumed - it was a big part of America's lifestyle/culture then. It was expected. 
The culture of the UMM football program was very cock-of-the-walk, like they had life by the tail. These guys were highly misogynistic. Do you want me to elaborate on that? I could, but I think you'd prefer that I don't. 
I wish I had never consumed any booze my entire life. Or smoked cigarettes, or marijuana. I could wince thinking back. Our culture goes through evolution. I don't want to sound negative here, so let me say: I have the impression that the UMM football players of today blend in with the whole student body in a very healthy and seamless way. So, they are civilized. 
Unfortunately the game of football is still (nearly) as dangerous. I have written endlessly about this but my efforts won't change parental attitudes. Football is still a "thing." It's an opiate on weekends. What would we do without the big football stories on weekends, like Nebraska's sudden firing of Scott Frost on Saturday? Are the Nebraska regents upset? Is the administration upset? You'd think so. But I'd assert the answer is "no." Why? Because the whole mess just shows that Nebraska along with fans around the nation are interested, are buzzing about Nebraska football. And hey, that's good news for the state! What's a few million dollars of a buyout? 
Oh, more on my trip to Hamline for the Cougar game in '81: I remember the UMM quarterback was a fellow from Bloomington name of Craig Larson. He was one of a succession of top-notch quarterbacks we had in that period. I remember him as a tall fellow who I felt had that advantage negated by sort of a sidearm throwing motion. But he was quite good. 
I remember using a 200mm lens that day which I eventually became skeptical of, because of the limited depth of field that forced me to focus with total perfection - hard to do with moving players. I got some passable shots though. My, that was 41 years ago. I am delighted to still be doing media stuff on the Cougars today as an unattached journalist. It is really my lifeblood.
 
More memories
My, this gets personal: My late mother Martha Williams attended college at Hamline. She was Martha Ohlson then. Her studies were cut short when her father Andrew died suddenly from a stroke. So Mom had to hurry home and take care of the family. 
While at Hamline, she became a close friend of Coleen Gray who ended up fairly well-known as a Hollywood actress! Gray passed away in 2015, my mom died in 2018. Mom managed the UMM post office over many years. My father Ralph launched the UMM music department in 1960. 
Coleen Gray was best known for her roles in the films "Nightmare Alley" (1947), "Red River" (1948) and Stanley Kubrick's "The Killing" (1956). Gray was comfortable performing in the genre known as "Film Noir." She was a member of the board of directors at her alma mater of Hamline. She was active with several organizations that benefited humanity. 
Coleen Gray RIP. Martha Williams RIP.

Enjoyable picnic by the HFA
I invite you to read my post about attending the UMM staff welcome picnic which was held outside of the HFA. What a pleasant surprise: I was just walking by when a UMM staffer who is a friend invited me over, said I could be a guest with her family. God bless. Here is a link to the post which is on my companion blog "Morris of Course." 
 
A sad passing
In July I wrote a tribute post to Bill Robb of UMM who had passed away suddenly. I'm blessed to have gotten to know him. Here is the link to that post, and thanks:
  
Refreshing time of year
Kind of a "Goldilocks" season, right? I mean, early fall with a combination of cool and warmth, you might say "just right." So I reflect on that in my current "Morris of Course" post, along with the fact we're also in "road construction season" here in Motown. So I invite you to read this post which is adorned with a sunrise photo that has wind turbine in foreground, a photo I'm proud to have taken several years ago. I still used film camera then! Sorry, I haven't gone digital. You may click on this permalink to see my current "Morris of Course" offering. Thanks again.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment