"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, January 28, 2023

January 28 means I'm 68 years old

My fifth birthday, January of 1960, with my father Ralph E. Williams. Within a year after this photo was taken, the Williams family got busy helping establish the new U of M-Morris. The card on the table shaped like a dog was from my Uncle Andy and his wife Irene. They were my sponsors when I was baptized at Central Lutheran Church, Minneapolis. We said goodbye to the big city and came out to fresher air!
People enjoy seeing photos of my mother Martha from when she was young. So I'm pleased to share this, and look at the little tyke she's holding, yours truly!
The happiest days of my life, in St. Paul MN. I was born in the suburb of Ramsey. My father taught at the U of M St. Paul School of Agriculture in the 1950s. The U of M has been the bulwark of our lives. Thanks to Del Sarlette for scanning photos.
 
I'm writing this post Friday afternoon, my second one to pen today. Below this post you'll see my review of the MACA boys basketball win over Sauk Centre. The team's stock is quite high and getting higher. 
So today is my birthday, Jan. 28, and the occasion always prompts thoughts on your position in life. Holding one's own and assets like physical and mental soundness. The fact I'm even thinking about this, sharing with you, means I'm probably all right. 
I got stuck in the driveway backing out my car Friday afternoon. Showing fallibility? But I have gotten stuck on various other occasions. 
We get hit hard by snow and snowstorms up where I live, just north of town by the soils lab. We are in the city limits. Nice snow plow service, more dependable than in past times. I suspect that the consistency is due to the need to have all roads open for emergency service vehicles. I remember we used to call sometimes in the old days. "Always be nice," retired city worker Glen Helberg told me. 
We miss Glen, lost to cancer several years ago. Remember him at Coborn's? Remember Coborn's? Pure Morris legend: Coborn's would have stayed in town, even built a nice new store, if they'd gotten a liquor license. Factual? I won't assert as much. 
The north end of Atlantic Avenue had a feeling of greater activity when we had Coborn's. A 24-hour store. Could make a run there at any time to get something. And remember the epoch of time when the restaurant now known as DeToy's was open 24 hours? That's not legend, it's quite true. 
Each year I post online on my birthday. I have a few friends who will check in. I'm writing this birthday post on the day before, so I can just click on "publish" tomorrow, Saturday. 
So on Saturday I'm 68 years old. Us Class of '73 members are stretching into our older years. Twilight years? Not so fast. Of course we cannot deny reality. My MHS Class of '73 members are going through the same passages as everyone. We break down in various ways. We slow down, try to keep our demeanor bright. And we do seem bright on the whole. 
I saw Craig Murphy at Don's Cafe last Friday night. His demeanor is always uplifting. My neighbor is Rose Murphy, the former Rose Weiler, '73 member. 
January 27, yesterday, was the birthday of Laurie Lindor, my old neighbor and '73 member. Her married name is Miles. So Laurie and I were born a mere one day apart. Laurie's father Les was chairman of the Morris Area school board. 
My wealth is sufficient that I can give boosts to U of M-Morris music. It puzzles me that UMM music doesn't do better with public outreach. So I reflect and comment on this with my Jan. 24 post on my companion blog, "Morris of Course." I took the photo of the HFA that you see at the top. I invite you to read:
 
I have two blog sites so that during times when I get stretched with sports, like in March, I have the alternate site available for when I feel the need to write about politics etc. 
I feel the need to try and beat down MAGA. Trump's first big rally coincides with my birthday, dammit, Jan. 28. From South Carolina which seems appropriate for Trump. It was the first state to secede in the Civil War. 
I made a new infusion into the Ralph and Martha Williams Fund at UMM last month. Get a little tax credit for 2023, wink wink. So then of course I got a nice thank you from UMM's Development Office. The Development Office sent one of just two birthday cards that I received this year. The other is from Al and Liz Harris of my church. Thanks all. 
The card from the Development Office reads as follows: "Dear Brian, thank you for making a gift to the Ralph and Martha Williams Fund at the University of Minnesota Morris. Your support carries a great legacy and makes a difference for our campus, students and the region as we deliver on our promise of a liberal arts education. Your generosity and impact to the music program is greatly appreciated." 
The card is signed Erin Christensen. She's senior development officer. She adds "happy new year." We still miss Bill Robb. What a shock when he left us. God bless his memory. 
My "classic shake" at Don's Cafe Friday night puts me in the right frame of mind for today, Saturday. One's birthday is the ideal time to listen once again to Elvis Presley sing "Funny How Time Slips Away." If you wish to acknowledge my birthday, you can do so by listening to this Elvis song from YouTube. Here's the link:
 
Tune out Donald Trump tonight please. I suppose all the local Apostolics are fired up to vote for him again, like 100 percent of them. Let me be clear: Donald Trump is the biggest scumbag of a human being I have ever seen.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment