"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Friday, April 14, 2023

Are we short-changing our student-athletes?

The "snirt" season is fully upon us. Rather fleeting, as we know the milder temperatures will take care of that. But how much can we really take for granted with Minnesota weather? Winter should have fully retreated well before now. Take a look at the MAHS school calendar online. Looks like the postponements are extending into next week. 
Even with the best-case scenario, we can expect standing water or wet grounds for a time. Two days ago I saw parts of the outfield fence at the "softball complex" in standing water. There was an actual "lake" on the other side of Prairie Lane. The lake had subsided quite a bit by yesterday. 
The complex is located just down the road from the Pomme de Terre River. So it's low-elevation, a place where we can expect water to collect. 
Yesterday (Thursday) the complex looked hopelessly no-go for being used in the immediate future. Once it gets past that, there is still no guarantee we won't have an obstacle with the occasional rainfall. Chilly conditions and the forceful spring wind can come at us too. The wind can almost seem gale-force. And I have witnessed spring sports activities on such days. It has to be an ordeal. It has to keep the fan turnout minimal. 
I am assuming that fans are an important part of the experience. My assumptions are not always in line with the people who have kids in these activities. I'll venture to say I'm right on this one: spring sports is a challenge to even accomplish, much less enjoy. So I'm wondering why we go through this each year. Yes, sometimes we can be lucky and get accommodative conditions early. My memory tells me this is not too common. 
My goodness, look on the online school calendar and you'll see "cancelled" instead of "postponed" for track and field meets, yes more than one. And the "p" word for postponement is mighty reliable. 
Would the softball team still consider "retreating" to Wells Park as it has done in the past? The team has moved to the quite satisfactory Wells Park facilities of west Morris when the Eagles place was afflicted by mud. 
We don't even dream of these type of obstacles in the fall and winter seasons. The girls play indoors in the fall. Early fall is the same as late summer. Compare that to early spring! Our boys still play football. institutions like St. Cloud State and Ridgewater of Willmar have ended their football programs - hooray for them. So many young males are being spared the oft-terrible health consequences of playing the sport. Someday we'll be puzzled as we think back to how we permitted it. 
 
Think "retro"
Think of how we reminisce now about the days when MAHS athletics had "cheerleaders." Our culture evolves. Cheerleading was a pretty big deal for most of my life. The girls were a staple. They were chosen on the basis of "cuteness" - we all know that. We all knew that some girls "need not apply." This was passable (if kept quiet) in our culture of the time. 
MACA softball might avoid playing at Wells Park today because it would be an admission that the vaunted "softball complex" was failing us. I'll try not going into a spiel on that. But I might fail. 
There are two playing fields at Wells Park, so JV is easily accommodated along with varsity. The accommodations for fans are actually better, and that is because anything would be better than what we see at "Holmberg Field." The fences are too high for fans to see over, at the new place. Of course the pregnant issue there is the "dugouts." They aren't literally dugouts because there is no depression into the ground. 
A player's parent emailed me a year or so ago with the admission that the dugouts - "seeing around them" - was a real issue. In essence the real issue is that the planners just were not thinking about the fans. This is a shocker. 
The previously-existing UMM softball field did not have to be changed at all. You'll recall it had the brick dugouts. As time passed I wondered: "Are they really going to follow through and remove the brick dugouts?" It seemed so senseless. Then one day I saw them knocked over. 
I observed some UMM softball action there in the past and I felt that everyone there - players and fans - had a great time. There's a new playing field there now, organized in the opposite direction from before. My, all these cartwheels to accomplish what? Did anyone think that the batters will now be facing the sun too much? Wait 'til the sun gets higher in the sky. No dugouts at present whatsoever. Fan seating? Is that going to be overlooked again? 
Again I'll say: when the plans for the complex were first announced, I thought it might be really something special. That's the impression they seemed to want to give. And my, all the back-patting quotes in the local commercial news media! And if I were still part of that, I'd be expected to go along with it. Either that or I'd be cussed out as negative and biased! I grew up when it would be risky to criticize the Vietnam war. "America, love it or leave it." John Wayne et al. Lose your life before the age of 20. I saw the truth of it all when I was a little kid. I digress. 
 
Question at the heart
So I'm wondering: are we short-changing our kids in the spring of the year? Just consider what a "come-down" there is, from the climax of winter sports to the spring sports. Absolutely no comparison. 
I was able to be journalistically involved with "March Madness" this year, because I wrote extensively about the BBE girls basketball team. I'm well-acquainted with the newspaper guy there, Mr. Olson. Our MACA girls basketball team unfortunately lost right out of the starting gate. That's the way it goes sometimes. 
BBE took third in state (Class A). I think back to the intoxicating excitement of that, and then compare it with the total dearth of excitement in early spring. Or even mid-spring! What are all the student-athletes thinking? "It's crazy to have all this outdoor stuff scheduled so early." Are they relieved of the pressure of competition? I don't think so. I think they take to it. But the weeks pass and nothing happens. 
I walked past the softball complex yesterday and it looks light years from being ready. 
I have personally campaigned very hard for an "inflatable cover" for the Big Cat playing field. Would be a bonanza for softball. Baseball I'm afraid would be another story. I've heard stories about college baseball programs that go to the southern U.S. early in spring, and then when they get back here, they have to wait so long to start playing, they have to start getting in shape again! 
Why do we go through this? Can't we weigh alternatives? C'mon, be enterprising. I have suggested gymnasium-based sports for the first half of spring. Worthy of consideration, wouldn't you say? But I'm sick of the "postponed blues" the school crowd has to sing this time of year. Again, nothing like it in the fall and winter. 
So why do we persist with the system as is? Music and theater plunge forward with no impediments whatsoever. Congrats to the arts crowd. No mud to deal with. I'm looking forward to the spring band concert where ice cream is served. Put it on your calendar, please.
 
Doing my part
I'm pleased to conclude here with a little extra focus on music. It comes at the end of my thoughts today, as sports seems always to trump music in the public consciousness. Make the headline about sports, not the arts. That's what the public expects. I won't complain about the overzealousness of certain parents, as that's a fool's errand. They will be with us forever. Bless their souls, I guess. 
Last year I didn't even see a review of the band/choir Texas trip in the Morris newspaper. But sports must be followed religiously. It's our culture. 
I'll begin wrapping up here by saying I have pledged $ support for getting some banners for the MAHS jazz music program. Originally I suggested actual "jazz band stands." I have some background in this format. The stands are quite common. I was told of some possible logistical problems with them, as in set-up and storage. I might politely dispute that but I'll go along with the band leader. 
So it looks like instead of the stands, we're going with jazz banners to be hung on the conventional music stands. Oh I think they'll be terrific. I wish they had been acquired by now. I'm waiting to hear that the order has been submitted. Then I'll make payment for the whole thing. It's my supreme pleasure. I was able to see the world at age 17 thanks to my band involvement. Perfectly appropriate now to give something back. It's the least I can do. 
There I stood at the Coliseum in Rome, thanks to my band involvement. Also, dining on the rooftop of the then-new Kennedy Center in Washington D.C., year 1972. I graduated from Morris High School in 1973. Hey, that's 50 years ago! Back at our 10-year reunion, we would not have wanted to think of the time coming for the 50. It most surely does for all generations. Unfortunately we have lost some members as all classes do. Rest in peace. 
Our reunion will be in September, I'm told. 
A sample of the music stand banners has been prepared. Thanks to Del Sarlette for photographing it. Keep in mind this is not the total final product, as I believe the length will be shaved down some. But isn't it attractive? I doubt we'll see these before the end of the current academic year. But hopefully they'll be a treat to see for next year. 
I sure hope director Wanda Dagen doesn't keep losing students to "PSEO." I don't believe in that program. Defenders of it will say "college is so expensive." Well then that's the problem: college is too expensive. As are so many other things. Have you considered that maybe our dollars have just been losing value? Maybe you'd pay more attention to what the movers and shakers are really doing, if the news wasn't dominated daily by Donald Trump. Watch the Federal Reserve mainly. 
Below is the photo of the MAHS jazz band banners, in their first iteration. Wanda does such a terrific job with the program. I have kind of a thing for her too.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment