"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Monday, April 3, 2023

"It Might as Well be Spring," really

The plows were slow in getting out on Saturday. I had to follow tracks that were left by someone's 4-wheel drive pickup, or else I would not have attempted it. Someone explained to me the problem was the ice underneath all the new snow. Snow is bound to be wet and heavy this time of year. Wet, certainly, but isn't it supposed to melt, i.e. disappear pretty fast too? 
Is there a pattern developing of springs being belated? Reminds me of the guy who said "we're getting a 500-year flood every three years." For sure the insurance industry will have all this sized up. When it comes to money, nothing is left to chance. 
On this Monday morning as Easter inches closer, I'm thinking of an old classic song. The title is pretty well-timed: "It Might as Well be Spring." Well really, it might as well be! 
I came across an old recording of this song by the Maynard Ferguson orchestra. Maynard came to Morris twice to perform. I was there for the first one in the mid-1980s. I remember crouching with my camera right next to the late Dr. Rossberg. 
The second time around, MF was in the twilight of his life and career. I missed that one. I know that on a good night he could still play very well at that stage. 
Maynard appeared to have a quite physical approach to his playing. I think that was part illusion. He could not have followed such an ambitious performing regimen into his 70s, had his playing really been so physical. A hero to so many young people, Maynard was in particular a hero to young male trumpet players. 
Maynard in about 1960
I suspect our present-day MAHS band director, Wanda Dagen, would agree with me that Maynard was not the best example-setter for young brass players. I suggest it was a mixed bag, as yes it would be folly for any young musician to copy Maynard, even though in our fantasies we could not help it. However, Wanda would want her students to feel a maximum amount of motivation. Here, Maynard fandom filled the bill: inspiration from Maynard made band seem "cool." 
I had the good fortune to catch Maynard in a live performance within the last two years of his life. It was in an unlikely place: the small town of Dawson. And it's not as if Maynard was getting desperate and accepting bookings anywhere. There were people in Dawson who had the resources, who could pull the strings to make this happen. We were all greatly pleased with their efforts - the performance ended up successful. 
We could no longer see and hear a "young" Maynard, naturally, but his performance was quite fine. Eventually he passed away from an abdominal infection. My mother took a message from a friend with the news Maynard died. Think of when a childhood idol in your own life passed. Kind of a gut-punch, right? Such people can take on immortal qualities in your mind. 
We know time passes and the inevitable comes. Our rational side is totally on top of that, but it's tough. 
So Maynard and his band did a recording in about 1960 of "It Might as Well be Spring." I have heard so much of Maynard's recordings through the years, but I only recently discovered this one. He had such longevity, I'm sure his discography is eye-popping. 
MF "sneaked" into the Top 40 in the 1970s with his "Rocky" thing, as you probably remember. I shake my head as I realize he could not get a follow-up hit. He and his people really did try. I felt that his disco recordings were not up-tempo enough for chart success. The group "Meco" had the right idea with their singles. I have always felt Maynard could have had those. 
The best thing about commercial success for Maynard, is that it would widen his exposure. Then he could keep on being his artsy jazz self with a nice foundation of ticket sales and enthusiasm. Commercial music is a jungle. Be prepared to have your heart broken if you're in it. 
A scene from the 1980s movie "Eddie and the Cruisers" pops into my mind. Eddie's group has just finished recording some new material that was avant garde for the times. Eddie was a renaissance artist even with his rock 'n' roll image. You might remember the group "Dion and the Belmonts." That was the real life group closest to "Eddie." 
So, Eddie's group is in the studio when a boss stops by. It's thumbs-down from the higher-ups, and not only that, some very raw and derogatory language gets thrown at Eddie. Eddie the true artist could not get over it. How raw? Well I can remember some words: "Some jerk-offs making weird sounds." 
All the execs can think of is, "can I sell this?" In many cases they don't know crap. Such are the ways of the world. 
So Maynard sat back having to be content with his one and only chart success: "Theme from Rocky" which was of course a cover. It did inflate his stature for the rest of his career. More than one hit would have been preferable. Really he should have been thankful for the jump-start his career got way back in 1970. 
The 1960s had been terrible from a business standpoint for the "big bands." I have read that Maynard got truly disconsolate, maybe even a little defeatist. Then a guy from England, Keith Mansfield, got ahold of Maynard, saw potential for him if a more contemporary sound could be employed. That's exactly what they did and with success. No chart-climbing tunes but still a splash of popular acceptance as a succession of four albums came out. 
These discs were a huge turn-on for high school band programs everywhere. Our MHS director John Woell brought Maynard's "M.F. Horn 1" to school. You might say the rest is history. This seemed to happen everywhere. 
Even though high school kids were advised not to try to mimic Maynard, they upped their sheer enthusiasm for the band activity. This helped high school "jazz bands" truly get off the launching pad. Our director Woell was cautious about using the word "jazz." He called it "stage band." Today most high schools have full-fledged jazz band concerts. Wanda leads these at our MAHS. 
I have felt a desire to give something back to high school jazz. This started with me offering to purchase genuine jazz band music stands for our MAHS program. Wanda had a couple of logistical issues with this, so she suggested as an alternative: banners that could be hung on the conventional stands. Easier for storage and set-up, it was explained to me. Of course, I would have been happy to assist with set-up myself. I would be greatly enthused assisting Wanda with anything. 
But banners is the route we are going. Final adjustments are being made as I write this. 
A sample of the banners has been prepared. The initial judgment on this is that the length might have to be shortened. A photo was sent to me but I'm unable to post it here. Comes out as JFIF instead of JPEG, if that means anything to any of you. I'm unhappy that I cannot share it.
I doubt the banners project will reach fruition this school year, but look for this treat in the future. God bless. God bless too the memory of Maynard Ferguson.

Addendum: Speaking of treats, I expect the big spring concert of MAHS bands will be preceded by the ice cream social at the cafeteria. Come one, come all, please.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment