"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Time slips away so now I am age 69

My birthday in the Eisenhower years! The most cherished part of my life: preschool when the Williams family lived in St. Paul. Morris still had the ag school on our campus. I imagine the folks in Morris knew the writing was on the wall for closure of the WCSA. This type of institution had run its course in Minnesota - the need was lessening. It's all about need. Our campus started out to serve the Indians or Native Americans. I was recently taken aback by a commenter for one of my blog posts where I reported that our campus began with "good intentions" for the Natives, even if the outcome was not deemed successful. Some people would not want to be generous about those intentions. Are they right? Maybe. There's a tussle now over whether Benson High School should continue to be known as the "Braves." I'm sure they rue the day they ever chose that nickname. 
My birthday is today, Sunday, Jan. 28, and if you wish to acknowledge it, please click to listen to Elvis Presley sing "Funny How Time Slips Away." Here is the link:
 
It is Saturday as I write this. The sun is out and temperature most pleasant. Our winter is an aberration and is that good? May not be, if it's an exhibit of climate change. 
Four sentences into my " birthday post" and I'm already at risk of alienating Republicans! My birthday is on Sunday, Jan. 28. I'm doing the heavy lifting of writing this post on Saturday. Early on Sunday I'll have breakfast at Caribou and then come home and click on "publish." At Caribou I see a bunch of Apostolic guys gathered at the "cafe" seating area. I admire them greatly and hope/pray that they take the blinders off politically some. 
Vote for Biden? Would never happen. But to vote for Trump? The man in the news for having to make an astronomical payment to E. Jean Carroll? (Since I'm writing about Caribou at Willie's Super Valu I'll use the term "astronomical" as a gesture to the late Willie Martin.) 
 
Let's be clear
Rudy Giuliani has rushed to the media to emphasize that Trump is judged to have committed sexual assault which is not the same as "rape." So Rudy wants us all to know we shouldn't say Trump committed rape, just that it was sexual assault. I prefer my president of the U.S. to have done neither of those things. 
My Republican friends - or maybe let's just call them acquaintances - will not appreciate me alluding to climate change. They'd echo Trump in saying climate change theory is a "hoax." I would hope that my Apostolic Christian friends - and I do consider them friends - would not be so lock-step with Trump now. I saw the signs of them coalescing around Trump in 2016. 
 
Feeling good today
So I'm 69 years old. On the whole you might say I'm well-preserved. Knock on wood. As I sit here at home looking out our picture windows to the north, I cannot complain of anything. But it's difficult to be at such an advanced age and have no health issues in the background. I do. 
I am shying away from medications at present: the issues with side effects became too much. My path now is to strive for the healthiest possible diet. This will be within reason. I have seen the tongue-in-check advice for diabetics that "the best diabetic diet is to eat nothing." Not really far from the serious advice you'll find, unfortunately. I cannot eat kiwi fruit and avocados all day, plus olive oil, I just cannot. I'll get multi-grain bread and make toast from it, which I consume dry. 
I bought four of the most expensive oranges at Willie's on the way home this morning. I assume the most expensive fruit is the best-tasting? But look out, as anything that tastes good would probably be on the "not recommended "list for me. I know I should take all advice seriously. I simply cannot turn my whole life upside down which is what the maximum dose of Metformin would do to me. 
In the moment I will celebrate just feeling good. A lot to be said for that, always. 
We lost Steve Van Kempen recently. The fate we all will face at some point. Would the Christian faith be a beacon of inspiration and hope for me? Hard to answer "yes" when such a large portion of the faith is totally invested in Donald Trump still. Yes, the man found responsible for committing sexual assault. Not to mention a substantial additional list of terrible things. 
I can make up my own mind about Trump. But I cannot put aside the fact that so much of our precious Christian faith has been co-opted by him. Are we ever going to come out of this? We have been in this curious funk ever since 2016. A picture of a pouting or screaming Trump at or near the top of Yahoo! News every day. Every day. Why can't we all just start laughing at him? Why don't we all just start telling him to get lost, to get out of our faces? Makes too much sense. 
We are awash in this foul stuff, this excrement. I suppose the world has seen worse like Nazi-ism. But what on earth is headed our way now? Trump is not the Messiah.
 
Girls basketball: Tigers 49, Osakis 43
This is something I enjoy very much doing: writing about MACA Tiger athletics. The girls basketball Tigers, who have an up-and-down look, were up with their fortunes on Thursday as they downed the Silverstreaks of Osakis by six, 49-43. The action was here at Tiger Center. 
My attempts to continue writing about Tiger sports are being hindered pretty substantially. I have difficulty getting access to the basic info. On the whole I have done well over the last dozen years. It is getting harder for various reasons. Sources within the media are closing off their content with "paywalls." They are getting wise to various tricks for getting around the paywalls. 
My view is that MACA Tiger sports reporting should be on totally free-access sites, the way our "YouTube geniuses" of MAHS operate. Encourage as many people as possible to consume this material. The problem is the "legacy media" which feels it is still entitled to make money from this. We could always understand buying the local paper because we knew it cost money for the paper to publish and to distribute. That was in the "old days." 
Today the Internet has created a whole new reality. "Media" need not deal with overhead costs like before. I can write about Tiger athletics on my blog sites and it costs me nothing. And I certainly hope the public has paid some attention. 
I cannot find any info on how MACA individuals performed and scored in the win over Osakis. I found a short item on the Lake Region Echo site, not too helpful for us in Morris. I would love to report the usual range of statistics. There will be a report in the next Morris print newspaper which costs money and presents coverage in a very non-timely way. Maybe at some point the Morris community can do something about this. 
Anyway, I'm glad I'm still standing at age 69 (as of today, Sunday) to do some continued writing. I open up my pocketbook for the MAHS band program. Word is, Wanda wants to keep directing for as long as she's physically capable. That's the spirit! I'll never forget the massed band performance at the end of the December holiday concert, with two vocalists out front. Priceless.
My current post on my "Morris of Course" blog site is about how the legacy media faces headwinds right through the present time, little chance of the stress abating. You may read my post:
 
Brainerd has a niche in my background. It was my mom's hometown. The photo shows me there with Nancy Closson whose mother was Mom's best high school friend, Ruth Schiel-Closson. Us two are on a boat. Lots of lakes around Brainerd of course. Would you say the photo is charming? Today Nancy's last name is Briley. I haven't seen her in many years. Mom and Ruth graduated with the Brainerd High School Class of 1942, storm clouds of wartime in the U.S. Brainerd had a National Guard unit that got captured by the Japanese in the Philippines. Americans used the word "Japs."
Don't we all remember the first TV we ever used? Here I'm tuning in at our St. Paul residence, maybe to my first favorite TV show "Sky King." "Brought to you by Nabisco." My generation of the boomers was the first young generation to be marketed to. I'd say it had a profound influence on us. Our parents were just thankful to have this new resource called "television." My generation gained cynicism from TV in our living rooms with its commercial messages. We saw through it? Evidently. Sugary breakfast cereals, alas. TV made us cynical and this gave birth to "Mad Magazine." The lead character in "Sky King" was Arizona rancher and aircraft pilot Schuyler "Sky" King. The series had strong Western elements. The hero "King" flew around in his plane the "Songbird." King and his niece Penny lived on the Flying Crown Ranch near the fictitious town of Grover, Arizona. The series ran from 1952 to 1959.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment