"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Time for the boys hoops post-season!

"We'll be back soon," I see as I attempt to access the kmrs-kkok website. Down for "maintenance?" Appears so. My intent was to get the heads-up on when tournament action starts for MACA boys basketball. 
It's nice to focus on the "real" news and "real" priorities of our school district. This, in contrast with the anguished hue and cry from the teachers about how mistreated and disrespected they are. Those are allegations. Biased allegations? Let's take that one "up to eleven." 
But let's retreat from that mess some, focus on MACA boys basketball. I was disappointed yesterday (Friday) in checking the "Minnesota Scores" site and not finding info on the Tigers' first tournament game. Therefore I tried kmrs-kkok which in the past had the very reliable Brett Miller posting info. But he has been gone now for a while. His shoes have not been filled, at least not with anything close to his thoroughness. 
Brett would have 3-4 paragraphs laying out the sub-section game info with seeding positions of the various teams. I presume our Tigers have a high position. The season has been successful. Unfortunately our girls team lost right away to Paynesville. The boys? After failing to find schedule info on "Minnesota Sores" or kmrs, I tried a long-shot, "Maxpreps," and actually found something there. Hooray! 
So it looks like we're playing tonight (Saturday, March 2) at home against New London-Spicer? At 7 p.m.? Well, good luck to the Tigers. 
Unfortunately the Tigers did not win their final regular season game. I thank Randy Olson for finding some game review info and relaying it to me. I do not pay for access to anything online. My own two blog sites are completely free for readers. Click and read. Makes a lot of sense IMHO. 
I strongly believe that high school sports info should be free-access and user-friendly online. What do you think? Unfortunately the Stevens County Times website is worthless when it comes to Tiger sports coverage. I think that's terrible but what do other people think? Sometimes I'm not on the same page as others. 
On Friday night I was at Don's visiting with someone I consider a community leader, and I asked him if I was a complete outlier with my skeptical views on the softball complex. He candidly replied that I was. I reminded him that fans have to bring their own chairs, that they often sit out by the outfield fence which would not be their first choice, would it? Put chairs down on ground that is probably not level, and possibly muddy. The place is on low elevation close to the river. Well I could go on. 
But my friend insisted to me I'm rather alone in my views. I still think it's important to have your own views. Another one of mine: I think the girls basketball program should adhere to the quite-understandable goal of winning at least one post-season game. If that doesn't happen, let's adjust the coaching situation. Nothing personal. 
Teachers take a lot of things personal. Be careful what you say about all their loud complaining and posturing at present. Be careful or your business/professional life could well be affected. I have seen this in the past. The teachers are getting mighty aroused now. In more blunt terms, mad as hell. But I'd wager that all these people were happy when they were first hired. What happened?
 
Montevideo 86, Tigers 78
At least the Tigers know they can't take anything for granted in the post-season. We hosted the T-Hawks of Montevideo on Monday and were dealt our ninth loss. That contrasts with 17 wins. 
We led by four at halftime 47-43, but then got outscored the rest of the way 43-31 as our offense tailed off. Final score: 86-78, Monte prevailing and improving to 20-6. So it's a fine T-Hawk unit on the court this year. 
Eureka: Some individual data for MACA appears from the WC Tribune site. That is a rarity! So we see individual scoring totals for the Tigers along with 3-point shooting details. That's it but we'll take it. Riley Asmus scored the team-best 21 points for our Tigers. He was joined in double figures by Charlie Hanson 14, Alex Asmus 11 and Owen Anderson 10. Nice balanced scoring effort. 
The other totals: Drew Huebner 9, Jack Kehoe 6, Tyler Friesen 5 and Kaleb Heins 2. 
Alex Asmus was sharp from long range with his three 3-pointers. Friesen and Hanson each made one '3'. 
Montevideo also had four players score in double figures. They were led by Gannon Reidinger with 27 points. Then we see Griffin Epema 22, Carson Boike 16 and Cooper Dack 11. Devin Ashling scored eight points and Brody Dack 2. Boike made three 3-pointers to lead there. Cooper Dack, Reidinger and Epema each made two 3's.

Girls basketball: Paynesville 53, Tigers 44
The season ended too soon for our girls basketball Tigers. I think there was potential to do better. The Tigers lost right out of the starting gate to the Bulldogs of Paynesville, score of 53-44. The location was Paynesville. 
We showed our potential to do better in the first half. So at halftime we were up 31-27. Alas we could not sustain it. 
We ended up with seven players scoring points. No one in double figures scoring for the orange and black. Cate Kehoe came close with her nine points. She made two 3-pointers. Addison Cihak and Kaylee Harstad each put in eight points. The others: Brianna Marty 7, Samantha Konz 6, Chloe Fehr 3 and Mylie Fehr 3. 
Kehoe's pair of 3's were complemented by one each from Cihak and Marty. 
Paynesville had two big scorers: Emma Flanders 18 and Rayna Spanier 14. Grace Roberg and Alivia Schaefer each scored seven. Kylie Pauls scored four and Finley Anfinson three. Spanier connected for four 3-pointers. Pauls had one long-range make. 
MACA has a final won-lost of 12-14. Paynesville marched onward with a 15-12 mark. 
We should note that on December 21, the Tigers beat Paynesville 53-37.

The current distaction
The early 1980s were a notorious time in our state's history when public school teachers got rattled all over the place, went on strike or threatened to go on strike in nearly every outstate community. These things seem more painful in the outstate small towns, wouldn't you say? 
And then relative calm took over. I assumed the state must have adjusted the education systems to discourage such conflict from breaking out. 
One worrisome thing about right now: Minnesota is a blue state (Democrats in good position). The Achilles heel for the Democratic Party is its affinity with the teacher labor unions. And maybe we are being reminded of that bond now. As much as I consider the recent Republican Party to be almost a cancer upon our nation, I could vote for a few Republicans if my anger is aroused enough by the teacher labor unions. 
Look what is happening in our Morris right now. A series of newspaper articles has revealed aroused and angry teachers, demanding attention at school board meetings. Such meetings are supposed to be about the interests of the kids IMHO. Once wasn't enough. Twice wasn't enough. Then it got even louder for the third time. It is extremely concerning. Here's from an email I sent to a friend:

Again, I'm totally surprised to learn how angry the schoolteachers are now, and they are so up front about it, getting in the faces of the board members! Incredible. I suppose they have power because of tenure contracts. Normally you just don't "give lip" to your superiors. Few people have that luxury. Here's a huge problem with teachers: they are never satisfied. Give them everything they want now, they'll be back complaining in a year or two. 
Maybe Odello doesn't care because he works for the big and powerful U which spends money like it's just being printed somewhere. I would actually root for more Apostolics getting on the board. I am astonished at Kevin Pope's language. I have never met him, a UMM grad. UMM grads can be arrogant people.
 
The following is from an email I sent to fellow UMM advocate Warrenn Anderson. He is also a veteran of dealing with public school matters.

Warrenn - I have predicted that the new U of M president will come out here and talk in flowery terms about UMM. But, what if she doesn't? Would that be a hint?
Man, a topic that just came out of the blue at me: the discontent of the Morris public school teachers now! If the article in the paper is an accurate reflection, the teachers are totally on the war path if I may use a politically incorrect term. 
Someone put a harsh comment on my blog post where I said the original Indian school on our Morris campus was begun "with good intentions." Well, maybe I should write that it was begun with malevolent intentions, I don't know. Well, I'm prepared to smoke the peace pipe with these people. Oh there I go again! Remember Charlie Berg talking about the Natives sending smoke signals? Oof.
Kevin Pope
So now the Morris public school teachers are hugely upset and using quite strong language when addressing the board. You and I have seen this kind of phenomenon before. I advised a friend this morning that you have to keep an eye on the teachers, because they could organize a secret write-in campaign for school board. This happened before when Gail Nelson got elected to push out (name withheld) who the teachers felt was crossing the line with comments that got too much into personnel.
It's the football coach who made the most pointed statements at the recent school board meeting, so pointed I think he could be reprimanded. Kevin Pope? I have never spoken to him. Jerry Witt has a standing invitation for me to visit his Harvest Church in Alexandria.
I get so mad about teachers sometimes I could just scream. Here's where I think my values are the same as the Apostolics'.
- Brian W.
 
UMM's image
UMM sought to lead public opinion on enlightenment with gay rights. The institution picked up a certain reputation among many of the "townies" and others in this part of the state who are outside the enchanted citadel. Oh I think the enchanted citadel is just fine if it sticks to its priorities. In fact we're blessed having UMM if I may state the obvious
And I think "gay rights" is just fine. But it has been in our faces too much over too long a time. Locally this was led by UMM. Maybe I should not use the past tense. Take a look at the poster below please. A friend writes: "You’re always looking for UMM events to attend, so here you go":
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment