"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Christ "too liberal" for some churchgoers

Do not question His word
Maybe not so outlandish after all. There's a good chance some of my acquaintances would react, "there you go again." This would be in response to my recent statement on the excesses of MAGA which is of course the same as extreme conservatism. Yes I have been waiting for the fever to break. History is full of faddish ideas that run their course. At their apex they can seem so persistent. Can the fever with this MAGA thing break? 
So I suspect at present it is actually getting worse. I can cite evidence. It has to do with how embedded MAGA has gotten with the Christian faith. This is crazy but it's true. Many of the Trump loyalists can now get unhinged even when being presented with quotes from Jesus Christ. 
So I recently wondered in a different post, whether the fanatics might start considering Trump to be "greater than God, greater than Jesus, maybe greater than God and Jesus combined." 
Maybe my best defense at the time would have been hyperbole - making a point with hyperbole. But just a couple weeks later, I came across an article that points out that it's not so outlandish. Could some of our churches in Stevens County be degenerating to the point where they fall in with the thinking that I cite? For sure we are a "red" area politically. We have churches that sure give the impression of being rigid. 
But, to the point of rejecting Jesus Christ's own words? Our Savior? To the point where people will complain to the pastor? I can only speculate on the local angle of this weird phenomenon. What could be more weird? 
I thought Christian churches existed to celebrate the Good News of Jesus Christ. But if you look through the many words from Our Savior, he at times can sound "liberal" by the standards we have set up in 2023 America. I cite here the headline from the article that concerns me: "Former top church official warns Christianity is in 'crisis' if people think quotes from Jesus are 'liberal talking points.' " 
The official is now editor of Christianity today. His name: Russell Moore. He's a former top official at the Southern Baptist Convention. It's the USA's largest Protestant denomination. Moore states that he has heard from "multiple pastors." They tell him "the same story," he said, about being approached and questioned after their preachings on the Sermon on the Mount. 
The preachings cannot be confused with a MAGA rally. Looks like a lot of Christians now would prefer the spirit and substance of a MAGA rally. Absolutely no hyperbole there. 
I have to wonder if in the long term this is going to do serious damage to the Christian faith. I mean, I can't see the astute young generation eating out of the hands of the MAGA puppetmasters, not like so many of the older people do. 
In the short run it's the MAGA-oriented churches that are propelled by the most zeal. I'll bet the zeal is not being dented one bit by the serious legal charges coming down on Trump and many of his acolytes. We can call it a criminal enterprise. Of course, alleged. We won't get confirmation until our molasses-like white collar law enforcement system runs its course, so you know how that goes. Attorneys in suits and ties on TV, always making calculations. 
The public could have used its common sense to wise up to Trump and the whole MAGA thing. He is a cynical manipulator. There is a sucker born every minute. But I have been surprised by so many of the people I know. I can't really use the word "friends" now because I think the political differences have severed friendships. Yes it's that bad. 
 
Whither First Lutheran, Morris?
Our current climate of thought in America is so bad, my church of First Lutheran in Morris, ELCA, continues to show serious signs of decay. I now think my church has really truly lost "critical mass." We are on the road to closure, I feel. 
First Lutheran of Morris
I said to a fellow church member the other day - someone who incidentally does not attend church in person - "what happens when a Sunday comes along with only 5-6 people showing up at the building?" 
Can you believe we have fallen this far? And a likely contributor - the prime one? - is this "liberal" image of the ELCA. We have always lost some support in summer. This is after all Morris. The usual seasonal erosion of support is being compounded by MAGA having taken over for representing the Christian faith. And it's so bad, people are now complaining when Christ's own words are quoted. People apparently insist that any quotes reflect what Trump himself would say. 
So Trump is now our Savior? Can he bestow eternal life? Should I have capitalized "he" in the previous sentence? Is that what it's coming to? Are people like Rudy Giuliani the new disciples? Hair dye running down his face? Problems with alcohol, signs of cognitive decline? Maybe the new Sermon on the Mount could be given from "Four Seasons Total Landscaping," eh? Do you follow the news well enough to get that reference? 
If First Lutheran of Morris is getting to the point where only 5-6 people will show up sometime, I don't want to be one of them. What would the Eidsvolds say? But remember, fads and fashions run their course. Right now I'm so skeptical of Trump and MAGA running its course anytime soon. "We are not out of the woods," not at all. 
The women of Ohio began fighting back recently. Keep an eye on such things. And never hesitate to quote the words of Our Savior Jesus Christ. Oh but I suppose he is "woke." Maybe you'd prefer Tucker Carlson, who is such a phony I have to wince. 
You are all such lemmings. I'm sure we will see Apostolics driving around with Trump flags flapping from the backs of their pickups again. I like those people in so many ways otherwise. But I wish to implore them: "Beware false prophets."
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment