"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Lots of vehicles on roads: a good sign

The local economy just has to be good. Put any news articles aside, because sometimes you can just get a sense of things. I mean, just by being out and around. Like I am, on foot or on bike on many occasions. A fair amount of pleasant weather remains before you-know-what begins setting in. Last year's winter was so unbelievably persistent. Never again will I assume that we'll start seeing some moderation in the weather as we head into March, or hell, even April. 
But we're in August now and I often get outdoors to cover some miles in a manner other than driving a car. I thank the Lord my health accommodates this. I am 68 years old and approaching my high school 50-year reunion. 
Here's my reason for assuming that the local economy is so good: I notice pretty thick traffic as I'm out and around. Cars and trucks constantly buzzing by. And this becomes particularly noticeable when I'm trying to cross an intersection. Even going across the bypass east of town can require a wait. Sometimes I'm surprised at the length of the wait. 
Crossing the highway as I go north from Pizza Hut/Subway can require a wait. Cars come from behind as I'm waiting with the intention of turning right, so sometimes just to be "totally in the clear" I'll step down partway into the ditch so I'm not even a "pedestrian." When in doubt just stay clear of all the vehicles. 
Look what happened to the poor guy in South Dakota who got struck and instantly killed by the South Dakota attorney general. I implore you to realize that when you're a pedestrian these days, absolutely do not tempt fate. There's a part of us that seems willing to subconsciously accept risk sometimes. I have totally stopped riding bike on the shoulders of highways. 
Many years ago, and only if I had the wind at my back, I'd bicycle home from the Pomme de Terre Lake chain using the highway shoulder. Even then I was a little troubled doing that. I'd use peripheral vision and my hearing to try to be sure all cars and trucks were going past me. Heavens, in this age of distracted driving, you cannot be too careful if you value your life. 
Good grief, why?
It's interesting, the part of our brain that seems to want to countenance risk. Think of the people who try to climb Mount Everest. The risk is so enormous with that endeavor, for a variety of reasons. Or the dudes who wanted to go down and see the Titanic. I hate to pass judgment but what were those guys thinking? Such a cavalier stance. I wonder if their bodies just sort of vaporized. 
Is it even certain that Mount Everest is the world's highest mountain? It is not, if you go by distance from the Earth's core as opposed to distance above sea level. Who cares? You're nuts undertaking this and even if you survive, you have been through a miserable endeavor. Likelihood of frostbite. We are so human an animal. 
So never do I ride bike along highways any more, and always I seek to be conscious of risk because I value the life that God has given me. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time. Last winter I had four hours of surgery and now things seem to be holding real steady. 
Last night (Tuesday) I attended the county fair supper and it was super. It was an experiment for me because I normally avoid a full third meal in a day - that's because of the medication I take for diabetes: metformin. I was diagnosed with diabetes as part of my hospital stay. Do I owe my life now to Dr. Sam? I think I do. I just wish I could communicate with him a little better! He thinks maybe I need my hearing checked. Oh, I think it's more of an accent issue on his part. He has a nurse who facilitates communication. 
I rode my bike to the fairgrounds last night, had the full meal without any later complications. I peddled home and eventually just thanked the Lord. 
Yesterday I rode my bike to Dakotah Bank to do some business, and as I was walking my bike into the parking lot, here comes MAHS band director Wanda Dagen with a friend. (A female friend.) They were in a vehicle. Wanda said I looked like I might be concerned about something. Well, going to the bank and dealing with money might be a factor. 
I have a tendency of looking concerned even when I may not be. It's an idiosyncrasy. I try working on it, to look more relaxed. 
I ended up with a pleasant little chat with our esteemed band director, who I'm sure is thinking a lot about the new school year which is not far off. It's August! Any time I can have a little chat with Ms. Dagen, it is the highlight of my day. Maybe of my month. She is brilliant. As a bonus she is also good-looking.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment