"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

MACA cross country, tennis get in swing

How wonderful to see signs of high school athletics getting going again! I was out for a walk along the biking/walking trail Monday when some young people came running along. As their numbers grew I realized this must be the high school cross country team. 
I shouted out an inquiry about that as several passed by, and heard "yes" in response. I got off the trail and onto the grass in order to give these kids maximum room. I also clapped my hands and shared some encouraging words. At one point I said "the harder you work out, the less pain you will feel!" 
This is a wonderful sport for self-starters. You are so in control of how you progress. You can set up your own personal regimen for the whole summer. Without anyone being aware, you could show up for the first meet and win it! Neat. 
I'm pretty sure it was Monday when I saw those runners - I note that because I do not think Tuesday would have been advisable. It was terribly hot and humid yesterday. I took a walk anyway. It is going to be a long winter. I can accept the sweltering heat now. Runners need to be careful of course. 
Toward the end of the runners I observed, here comes coach Dale Henrich on bicycle. Morris has traditionally hosted a big start-of-season meet at the golf course. 
When I sampled this sport in high school, I don't think "athletic shoes" even existed! We wore "tennis shoes" that were probably not well suited. As we wore them for other things, they were probably worn. We didn't know better. True athletic shoes would have cost more than our parents would accept. Parents of the boomers had much more limited standards for spending money. They would faint at the cost of athletic shoes today. I guess people just use credit cards today? 
I'm happy of course that the kids of today have resources. Anything to help the kids. I am offering a little $ infusion to the music department as they consider their hoped-for trip to New Orleans. I have let Wanda know the figure of $500. I'd be happy to slide up to $1000 if that helps. 
A friend shared with me the concern that the MAHS band has gotten "so small." That accurate? I go to concerts but I'd hesitate to judge. This community does not like it when I judge about things. Doesn't matter that I'm right, I guess. Maybe Wanda sets such high standards, it can be kind of a disincentive to participate? There is a lot to be said for high standards. But. . . 
Maybe she'll be mad at me if she becomes aware of this blog post. It is not nice to have Wanda mad at you.
 
Tennis
We have some bona fide start-of-season competition to review on this Wednesday! Tennis always gets going early. The MACA/WCA tennis coach is my neighbor Britney House who I always think of as Britney Greenwaldt. I have never forgotten the spelling of her first name. 
Unfortunately the news coming out of the meet vs. Osakis is not positive. Osakis hosted a triangular. The Tigers were defeated 0-7. 
Cate Kehoe vied at first singles and fell to Madeline Anderson 5-8. Let's note that Osakis is known as the "Silver Streaks." I can never remember if that's one word or two. 
Chloe Zimmel, my occasional server at DeToy's Restaurant, played at second singles and was defeated by Bella Weisser, 2-8. (I am astute enough to know that the correct term is "server " and not "waitress.") 
At third singles it was Lilia Asmus wielding the racket for the orange and black. Asmus fell to Brenna Moen 1-8. 
The fourth singles competitors both had the first name "Ava." Osakis' Ava Drevlow defeated Ava Breuer 8-1. Not a pretty picture for MACA/WCA in the singles division. Maybe coach House should have her kids jog with the cross country runners? Just kidding. 
Let's take a look at doubles. Ashley Koehl and Nora Meek of MACA/WCA fell to Leah Maddock and Bria Hoffarth at the No. 1 position. Outcome was 3-8. 
Then at the No. 2 position, Grace Hauglie and Izabell Hoffman fell to Lauren Anderson and Jaclyn Dietrich, 4-8. At No. 3, Osakis' Maddi Bouldin and Lucy Glenetzke prevailed vs. Heidi Seales and Molly Wayne 8-0. 
MACA/WCA fared somewhat better in the match vs. Wadena-Deer Creek. This was a 3-4 defeat. Our doubles teams all tasted defeat. Our three wins were by singles players Cate Kehoe, Chloe Zimmel and Ava Breuer.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment