"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Monday, August 1, 2022

We've turned a corner, regressively

August has finally arrived. Someone told me the temperature tomorrow is going to be around 100. I told this friend that since I live alone, it's no real concern for me. And if I had to, I could find relief in the basement. But I won't be doing that. 
Checking the news headlines this morning makes me wonder if we have turned a corner. And by that, I do not mean in a positive way. I thought the recent behavior of the Supreme Court might make more of us have second thoughts about our direction. Here and there you'll hear concern expressed, naturally. Sadly, there is no full-blown "moving on" from the Trump phenomenon. It remains powerful despite any developments. 
So is it time to give up hoping for a collective awakening? On this first day of August, I'm prepared to say "yes." From now on, just have fingers crossed that we won't turn into a full-blown autocracy or fascist state. Alas, my hopes are becoming steadily dimmer on that front. 
I belong to a church that has sought to be an outlier, or at least not to get fully on board with Trumpism. And my fear is that my church synod will continue in decline. And if that's what is happening on the macro scale, then will it be reflected here in Morris? 
I did not attend the Sunday service. A friend emailed me later in the day with whom I share notes on these matters. Not good news. The friend had watched the service on YouTube and besides noticing my absence - I always sit in the same place - he observed a quite small turnout. This is a church that through most of my life had two services every Sunday. The first adjustment was to go to one service in summer. Morris has historically gone awfully quiet in summer. 
I could see the writing on the wall: no doubt we would shift to one service year-around. And that's exactly what happened. And now the one service may not be cutting it. Maybe there's no room in the USA brand of Christianity for this synod now. We have been crowded out by the Trump chest-thumping folks. 
I have had friendships damaged by this. The separation might just start with some joking. I might get teased because I'm inclined to support Joe Biden or Kamala Harris. The friendship is preserved for a time. But then things get more serious. A friend with whom I now communicate far less often, felt that the investigation into Trump's ties with Russia was akin to a "Banana Republic." He was most earnest and serious about this. 
You remember the whole "Mueller" thing, right? Where the Trump-supporting William Barr prevented the public from learning the most accurate view from the investigation? Barr shielded Trump. What was so dangerous about the analysis or conclusions? Couldn't we at least learn them? 
Barr says he would vote for Trump again? 
Robert Mueller
Do I need to keep rolling out these disturbing memories? Mueller had his reputation tarnished at the end, as it was strongly suggested he was slipping into some age-related confusion. I think he was just driven nuts realizing the maelstrom he had been driving into, with the nation's capitol having taken on a different complexion. It was the complexion of a rising autocracy or dictatorship. 
This has happened through world history. I guess I had hoped that all of this would end up a "passing phase" for America. Maybe a "teachable moment." 
I don't know why I'm trying to rail against the bad stuff now, because it does no good, I may be hurting myself, and more of my friendships are becoming strained or obliterated. 
A friend took offense to a line of lyrics in my Christmas song of two years ago, a line that hinted that Biden would help us deal with the pandemic better. Such a thought ought to be within the boundaries of reasonable political discourse. We can have valid disagreements. Conservatism? Hell, I may not be conservative but through most of my life, I have respected the philosophy. There are times when it is needed. 
My friend who reacted to my song accused me of being "political." Being "political" these days, in a disruptive way, equates with agreeing with Democrats. I guess that's the new zeitgeist. You can be a cheerleader for Trump and his sordid group of acolytes - Rudy Giuliani - and you're not being "political." I guess you are being patriotic. 
Women are learning that the new conservatives consider them essentially as incubators for having babies. That's all that matters. We now see Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito making a highly untoward political type of speech in which he attacks people. We almost should faint at such news. It is not the place for Justices to do this. But maybe nothing should surprise us now. 
So to repeat a prime thought of this piece on the first day of August, maybe it is pointless to continue arguing on the matter. I am going to be dragged along by this wave that continues sweeping over the country. Maybe my only concern should be my personal survival. 
Now we'll get months more news coverage of the Jan. 6 committee and all things related. Had we elected Hillary Clinton, none of this would be happening. Our elected leaders would be having arcane discussions about tax policy etc. 
Trump is so obviously a grifter, a liar and an opportunist, but his celebrity marches on to the delight of so many of us. We're stuck. Now Lindsay Graham is challenging a subpoena. What's wrong with just sitting down and answering some questions honestly? Maybe you could alleviate some concerns. But Trump has taught his followers to defy subpoenas all over the place. 
 
County fair is near
August is the month of the Stevens County Fair in Morris. A day at our fair is turned over to the 800-pound gorilla of a local company that is associated with a particular non-mainstream church. We're talking the Apostolics. They have appeared all along to be very much on the Trump train. And I think it has just become knee-jerk for them. 
They aren't thinking about what the Trump element is really doing to this country. They aren't thinking about what an actual scumbag Trump is on a personal level. It's just become part of their "thing," so we see them in their pickups with Trump flags, or with Trump flags up on poles on their property. There's no fighting them locally. 
I'm accomplishing nothing by writing this. But someday if the U.S. disintegrates as a result of the negative forces, my writing will be evidence that we were not all on the Trump train. 
The Apostolics are also associated with the new Homestead Store in Morris. Nice "Crazy Days special," guys: a sandwich on a hamburger-type bun with a handful of chips and a soft drink, for $7.99. Plus tax. I felt offended by the tax. But it got worse: I took a sip of the pop and it was not Coke, as I had ordered, it was DIET COKE. I can't think of anything worse in the whole world. I do not seek to be a pain so I did not complain, did not seek a replacement. 
I had thought this "special" would include a small sack of chips. This "special" would be a ripoff on any day of the year, but this was Crazy Days. The "Crazy Days special." The Diet Coke may have put me in a mood for writing this whole post today. Just kidding, of course. There won't be any room for kidding if the Trump forces succeed in their next coup attempt, which will almost certainly happen. 
The Germans got sucked in in the 1930s. History repeats itself, you knaves.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment