"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Monday, December 12, 2022

A Friday of setbacks for MACA hoops

IMHO this community's quality of life dropped a notch when Don's Cafe went from opening at 6 a.m. to opening at 8 a.m.
 
Girls: West Central Area 69, Tigers 59
WCA picked up steam in the late stages of the game to prevail over the MACA girls. Action was on Friday, here. The girls and boys hoops squads of MACA both hosted the Knights. Unfortunately for our fans, we could not celebrate victory. It was a day for West Central Area to have the winning edge. In the girls game the WCA winning advantage was by ten points, 69-59. 
I invite you to click on link below to read about the Tiger hoops action on December 6. Boys and girls played Melrose, girls winning, boys getting defeated. This post is on my "Morris of Course" companion blog. Also included: the MBA girls hockey 6-5 win over Detroit Lakes on the same date. Thanks and Merry Christmas. - BW 
 
The WCA girls assumed their first lead at 12:30, the kmrs site tells us. The Knights had a feeling of command the rest of the way. 
Maddy Grove (twitter)
MACA lost despite a monster game from Maddy Grove. Grove poured in 27 points. She was forced to exit with foul woes with five minutes left. Kaylee Harstad had impact with her 13 points plus 17 rebounds. Brianna Marty added six points to the mix along with six rebounds and four assists. 
Let's look at the WCA standouts as reported by Brett at kmrs-kkok. BTW Brett, I'll bet Brianna has the two n's. Mya Foslien put in 18 points for the victorious Knights. Jayden Styba scored 15 points and collected nine rebounds in a reserve role. Macy Grosz scored eleven points. Clair Stark posted a double-double with 12 points/11 rebounds. 
The Tigers and Knights both came out of the day at 1-3.
 
Boys: WCA 53, Tigers 48
The final score was close but the Tigers never owned a lead in this game. The curtain came down with the visiting Knights of WCA owning victory, 53-48. The fans at Tiger Center saw our Drew Storck score 16 points and collect six rebounds. Tyler Berlinger and Riley Asmus scored nine and eight points, respectively. That's the radio station report. Asmus made his contributions off the bench. 
I thank the MACA coaching staff for having extensive game stats on the "Maxpreps" site. This continues the policy of Mark Torgerson, the now-retired coach. But our coach is still a Torgerson! So it's Jacob now. The Torgerson name may continue with the program long past my lifetime! 
WCA had the halftime lead at 33-27. The Tigers outscored the Knights by one the rest of the way, 21-20. 
Think back to when yours truly covered these events for the Morris newspaper. Precision could sometimes be very hard to achieve. So while the kmrs-kkok site reports Berlinger with nine points, I see in the Maxpreps review that this Tiger scored eleven. I implore you all to realize: any time you check game info from more than one source, or if you talk to more than one coach, it's amazing how often the information will not match. The odds actually seem high there will be inconsistencies. 
I remember interviewing both the Morris and CAHN softball coaches after a game. I wrote two separate little reviews, each one catering to the fan base of that team. I walked into the office the morning after the paper came out - the editor who was no fan of mine had fine-tooth combed the articles. There was a discrepancy in the team error totals. 
My first response would be that there is no official source for error numbers, because these stats are judgment calls by the coaches. There is no "official scorer" like in big-time sports. You'd have to pay that person. So I told the editor that I had interviewed two different coaches. I immediately walked over to Jim Morrison's office to try to allay any concern he had, but I'd expect him to have zero concern. He'd get annoyed with the complex and often petty expectations of the sports-oriented crowd. 
I survived the editor I was dealing with, initials S.K., and went on to work years longer until the situation caved in around me in 2006, probably due to fallout from the UMM goalpost incident in the fall of 2005. 
The torpedo that sank me was most likely a letter to the editor from Dr. Busian. As a result I spent the next 14 years not working (except to be a family caregiver) and with zippo health insurance. That was very risky. I landed on my feet in January of 2020 when I qualified for Medicare! Happy ending? In a sense most definitely. 
I greatly miss all the contacts I had around town through my newspaper years. Today I remember many of these contacts around Christmas when I email them the link to my annual original Christmas song. 
If I had the weekend of the goalpost incident to live over again, I would have put Mom and Dad in the car and we would have checked into a motel in Alexandria. Oh, but I'd still have to get the sports section out in some way. Life can be a bitch. 
Back to the game: Kudos to Drew Storck whose mother was once a co-worker of mine. Where does the time go? Drew made eight of eleven field goal tries and posted his team-best 16 points. Berlinger made three of seven shots and had, according to Maxpreps, 11 points. Riley Asmus was good on three of seven also with his point total of eight. Drew Huebner's shooting stats matched - three of seven - and this Tiger scored six points. 
Kyle Fehr scored four points and Owen Anderson three. Our team shooting was 18-for-47, 38 percent. Berlinger and Asmus each made a three-pointer. It was not a strong department for us: two of ten. Our freethrow numbers were 10 of 21. Berlinger and Fehr each made four shots from the gift line. 
The team's rebound story was 35 total, ten offensive. Storck was tops here too with seven. We had ten assists of which Berllinger had four. The steals department showed Berlinger and Asmus each with two. Asmus stood out in blocked shots with three. Again, thanks to the MACA coaches on the cooperation with Maxpreps. 
Thanks too to the kmrs people who at least are informing us in a timely way, unlike the Morris newspaper. Well, it's just a fact, I am not "ripping" anyone. Reed Anfinson says "say it in print." Problem is, the paper needs to say some things a little faster. If it fails to, other efforts are going to take over, just like with the "YouTube geniuses." 
Me? I'm just on the sideline. But you don't have to pay to read my stuff, or jump through any hoops whatsoever! I'm not trying to sell you anything. Maybe just my zest for life and school activities.
 
Milestone for wrestler
Congrats to MAHACA wrestler Davin Rose on reaching 100 career pins. This is a school record. The accomplishment came in the Grant County Tournament held Saturday in Barrett. Rose was the number one 145-pounder. His father Kyle held the previous record. Also on Saturday, Hunter Gibson was first at 195 pounds. Grayson Gibson was second at 126. Brock Marty was the No. 3 performer at 220. The Tigers were fifth in team standings, among nine teams.
 
An editorial P.S.: I am sick of checking the newspaper website and seeing all the links about the "Cougars." No question, we all love our University of Minnesota-Morris and its Cougars. Thing is, the fans can go to UMM's actual website and get all the Cougar coverage they could possibly want from every conceivable angle. The "townie" media businesses need to focus on high schools IMHO. That might mean more work for them.
Christmas season entertainment by UMM faculty at City Center Mall, Dec. 10. I wasn't aware of this or most likely I would have stopped by. Promotion wasn't good, word has it. This photo is by Vicki Dalager so thanks Vicki!
  
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment