"You'll never get ahead if you don't take care of what you have." - Doris Waddell, RIP

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn

The late Ralph E. Williams with "Heidi" - morris mn
Click on the image to read Williams family reflections w/ emphasis on UMM.

Thursday, July 4, 2024

U's challenges steeper than normal?

Rebecca Cunningham is new president of the University of Minnesota.
 
I learned many years ago that the University of Minnesota only speaks to "news reporters" on a grudging basis. And you can't really blame the U, based on its self-interest. The U senses that the "press" goes after stories like it's chum on the water for sharks. There's a bias toward articles that are exposes on the U. 
So, should a finger be pointed at the media or the press or whatever other term you want to use today? It's so diffuse now. Even I can have somewhat of a reach with my online writing. The web is a meritocracy. 
My late mother worked at UMM and she told me of a policy where if a "reporter" contacts you, you do not have to drop everything to talk to that person. Don't, instead refer that individual to the next-level employee up. And I learned this could become almost comical because everyone would just start "punting" to someone else. 
I don't blame the U for its survival behavior. I do not blame the media. The media is covering a publicly-supported institution in the U. The U is a vast, sprawling, important institution that gets and uses significant tax dollars. We periodically read of its "wish lists before the legislature." And in UMM's case, that includes getting an elevator for the multi-ethnic building. I am reminded of Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune trying to discourage the idea of "moving the Shubert Theater." 
"It's just four walls," he said. Well it had historic value like several of UMM's structures supposedly have. 
I will repeat here that nostalgia connected to the old West Central School of Agriculture is fading. At least that is my sense or perception. 
We won't have any more UMM Founders Days. I don't see how we could because UMM's founders have gone on to the next life, nearly all it's safe to say. The Founders Day events were moving. I was present for a couple. Maybe nostalgia really is what it used to be. But it gets trumped by the incessant marching of time. 
The old stalwarts of the WCSA - the leaders and teachers - have finished their mortal commitments, nearly all it's safe to say. I should not report in absolutes. And the day will come when there are no more WCSA reunions. I played in a dance orchestra for at least one of those. Time marches on and fewer people will be misty when being reminded of WCSA memories. 
Multi-ethnic building, UMM
The multi-ethnic building was the original home of UMM music. Edson Auditoriuim was the concert site and also the theater department hub. I read an observation a couple years ago, probably at the time of Edson's renovation, that kids could spend a couple years at UMM and not even notice that Edson Auditorium is there. Do I have to mention that the name alteration puzzles me: Well, Edson is now part of a larger entity - though I can't really define it or know its boundaries - named for a benefactor family. My own family is a benefactor. 
Even as UMM declines - precipitously? - I must feel satisfaction because of what the U of M has meant to my own family. As part of setting up the fund, I was informed of "contingencies." Like for example, UMM just plain closing. Sounded a little extreme at the time, is much less extreme-sounding now. My father got his undergraduate and Master's degrees from the Twin Cities U. I'd be happy to give them a boost if it comes to that. 
My big question now about UMM music is: How can it have so many faculty when the ensembles are deteriorating? I ask you to judge the ensembles based on the current UMM students taking part, not the "guests" or "alums" that you will see performing. Example: Marty Sarlette who we all love of course. 
Take a look at the huge HFA building which I think could be fairly described as ugly. Maybe a monstrosity? Marty's brother calls it an "albatross" on campus. I'm sure it was avant garde architecture at its inception, when that sort of thing was faddish. 
I studied mass communications at a time when it was full of faddish and foolish ideas. 
What is the new U of M president going to think when she comes out here? I don't believe she has made a visit yet. Maybe she should know that we can hear coyotes at night.

Good luck, you'll need it?
I think Ms. Cunningham is getting some pretty stern marching orders from the legislature. Or let's say the board of regents is getting such orders. I have realized too late in life that the regents are overrated. Maybe there was a time when they could pull the wool over people's eyes. Doing this with happy talk and pretentious educational cliches. Sure worked in an earlier time. 
A time of reckoning may have set in, underscored in a truly embarrassing way by the academic research scandal at the U. Hoo boy! The U has stepped in it. Shock waves extending way out, like nationally. Research was supposed to be a real crux for the U selling itself, if all else were to fail. Maybe all else has started failing. You know what? Whereas in the past the academic people wanted to tamp down sports, I think sports today might be the No. 1 selling point for these institutions. So go for it, Gophers! 
But let's try to see the women' basketball team in the real NCAAs next year and not the NIT. Sports is the "front porch" of our colleges. Try not to be too bothered by the erosion in the background. 
 
Edification
I discussed the U's research scandal with a learned person Wednesday morning, via an exchange through Yahoo! News comments. I began it by commenting on an article about an exotic new eating disorder among kids, identified with a series of initials. Skeptical, I wondered if this is another case of academic researchers trying to come up with something new as a way of getting attention and more importantly $ for their research. So here's the comment I submitted. Please read on for the very interesting response I got.
 
Where is the list of "disorders" going to end? There are scientists who are always trying to get funding for their research. Look at the ethically compromised researchers at the University of Minnesota. Having now to retract significant work.
 
From "Starlight":
Ethically compromised or ethically bankrupt researchers can work for any institution anywhere, Brian. U Minn. is not unique. I've seen it happen repeatedly elsewhere too - I was raised near another large Midwestern university, and ethics scandals over research and research funding are nothing new to me. These scandals are SYMPTOMS of a larger problem as as much as they are problems in themselves. 
The reason the academic scientists are always trying so hard to get funding is because their ability to stay employed DEPENDS UPON what they BRING IN in terms of grants, NOT what they teach or how well their students succeed. If they want to keep their tenured positions, they must prioritize research and research grant funding over their teaching skills. That is an unwritten law in academia, Brian. Trust me, I know all about this because I was RAISED by academic scientists, and I have a sibling who is one now. 
Everyone who knows anything at all about how the college and university system works in this country also knows that promotions and tenure within that system are always based on what one PRODUCES in terms of grant money and research, and NOT on teaching skills.

The little things
Again, I am disappointed that UMM cannot come up with a band for graduation. Years ago I never could have dreamt of this. 
Last winter I was informed that only one side of bleachers was being pulled out for UMM basketball games. I never could have dreamt of that either. 
Now, it is entirely possible that UMM has such a sharp administration now, they can keep resources coming here, at least for UMM's survival. Do you ever hear the expression "cramming for finals" any more? I don't. Courses must be much easier to attract students, everywhere.
  
The big things
At what cost do we indulge academic researchers who can't be on the level? The cost can be grave. Here's a submission from someone on "Reddit": "U of M was also where Ancel Keyes came up with the saturated fats lead to heart disease hypothesis which led to sugar being in everything. . .more heart disease."
And I am a diabetic.
 
Addendum: UMM's founders from way back when were in a panic over the possibility of our campus being made into a "community college." I think they were called "junior colleges" back then. I have always wondered why that would be so terrible. How can any reputable post-high school institution be termed "terrible." 
Maybe this is why I developed a complex through the years, of being encouraged to think that UMM students and graduates were some sort of superior human beings to everyone else. Yes, that is what was insinuated, or even stated directly at times. I think Jack Imholte encouraged it. 
Our sports fans became very rude and raucous toward visiting athletes and fans. 
To UMM's credit, I think this has been eliminated. I just sense it based on the overall direction of the place. I think the football players of today fit right in with the overall student body. I remember quite different times. And I think my assessment of things was shared by many others, but we were loathe to criticize UMM for any reason based on its obvious importance to the town's and area's economy. 
The old UMM faculty who put on airs of superiority vs. the common folk have faded away. The instructors today are more real and relatable people. Actually, subject to the same insecurities and humility as the rest of us! So that much is good! But what would be so terrible about having a nice little community college on our campus. We are getting "little" anyway.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment